Assistant Professor, Sport Management
Patrick Reid has an unique combination of 40 years of sport management experience and a current (2018) PhD. Having formerly lectured at the U of Ottawa and the U of Alberta, I am pleased to be at Brock as part of their industry leading sport management faculty and program, to provide to students both theoretical and practical information from my experience. My research interests include organizational behavior, change, and ethics; high performance coaching; governance of mixed martial arts; and the history of women’s elite hockey.
- Organizational behavior, change, ethics
- High performance coaching
- Governance of mixed martial arts
- History of women’s elite hockey
- 2018-2019 Senate Member-at-Large, Brock University
- Volunteer Adviser to Canada Games Director of Marketing
- A Charter Professional Coach (ChPC), Coaching Association of Canada (CAC)
- Member of the European Group of Organizational Studies (EGOS)
- Member of the Academy of Management (AOM)
- Member of the European Association of Sport Management (EASM)
- Member of the North American Association of Sport Management (NASSM)
- Member Ontario Kinesiology Association
Reid, P.A. & Mason, D.S. (2017). Sport Signifiers and Symbols: An ideographic analysis of the 1990 Women’s World Ice Hockey Championship. Managing Sport and Leisure, 6(5): 514-32.
Reid, P.A & Mason, D.S. (2016). Women can’t skate that fast or shoot that hard! The International Journal of the History of Sport, 34(14):1678-1696.
Karpman, S. Reid, P.A., Phillips, L., Qin, Z., & Gross, D.P. (2015). Combative sports injuries: An Edmonton retrospective. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. March 17.
Reid, P.A. & Mason, D.S. (2015). Contemporary issues in sport management: A critical introduction. In The Commercialization of Sport. Byers, T. (Ed.)., SAGE Inc.
Reid, P.A. (2015). Why do one event when you can do seven? Interviews with Commonwealth Games gold medalist Brianne Thiesen-Eaton and her personal coach Harry Marra. Modern Athlete and Coach, Athelstone, Australia. December (winter): 30-43.
- Sports Events: Critical Issue Management
- Sport Policy
- Organizational Behavior in Sports Organizations
- Understanding Sport Industry Sectors
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Alumni Association, University of Waterloo, 2011.
- Inducted into the City of Ottawa Sports Hall of Fame, 2009.
Recent Significant Presentations (2018)
- Reid, P.A., Glaser, V., Mason, D.S., Washington, M. (2018). Audience, artifacts, and routine dynamics in women’s hockey. European Group of Organizational Studies (EGOS), Tallinn, Estonia, July 2018.
- Reid, P.A., Washington, M., Mason, D.S., Glaser, V. (2018). The role of institutional entrepreneurs in new ventures: The emergence of women’s elite hockey. Academy of Management (AOM), Chicago, USA, August 2018.
- Attended 13 Olympic Games: 7 summer and 6 winter Olympic Games as a coach or technical adviser.
- Was the general manager/director of operations of three Canadian national hockey teams that won gold medals at IIHF world championships.