Associate Professor, Sport Management (currently on leave)
Dr. Mongeon’s primary areas of scholarship are in the fields of Sports Economics, Sport Analytics, and Behavioural Economics. Dr. Mongeon develops economic models and uses econometrics to test hypotheses and understand behaviours on real-world markets with a focus on sporting markets. He has published on league design, fan preferences, salary and ethnicity discrimination in the National Hockey League. He has provided expert testimony related to Canadian Hockey League players and provides consulting services to professional sporting organizations.
- Sports economics
- Sport analytics
- Decision-making biases under uncertainty
- Behavioural economics and finance
Ulrick, Shawn, Kevin Mongeon, and Michael Giannetto. 2018. “A Continuous Income-Based Grade Gap Decomposition on University Course Grades”. Applied Economics.
Mongeon, Kevin, Shawn Ulrick, and Michael P. Giannetto. 2017. “Explaining University Course Grade Gaps”. Empirical Economics 52 (1): 411–446.
Mongeon, Kevin. 2015. “A Market Test for Ethnic Discrimination in the National Hockey League”. Journal of Sports Economics 16 (5): 460–481.
Mongeon, Kevin, and Neil Longley. 2015. “Testing for Ethnicity Discrimination among NHL Referees: A Duration Model Approach”. Eastern Economic Journal 41 (1): 86–101.
Kaplan, Edward, Kevin Mongeon, and John Ryan. 2014. “A Markov Model for Hockey: Manpower Differential and Win Probability Added”. INFOR: Information Systems and Operational Research 52 (2): 39–50.
Mongeon, Kevin, and Neil Longley. 2013. “A Methodology for Identifying the Impacted Groups in Referee Discrimination Studies”. Applied Economics Letters 20 (5): 416–419.
Mongeon, Kevin, and Ron Mittelhammer. 2013. “To Discriminate or Not to Discriminate – Is Data Aggregation the Question?” Applied Economics Letters 20 (16): 1485–1490.
Mongeon, Kevin, and Jason Winfree. 2013. “The Effects of Cross-Ownership and League Policies Across Sports Leagues Within a City”. Review of Industrial Organization 43 (3): 145–162.
Mongeon, Kevin, and Jason Winfree. 2012. “Comparison of Television and Gate Demand in the National Basketball Association”. Sport Management Review 15 (1): 72–79.
Mongeon, Kevin, and J. Michael Boyle. 2017. “A Further Assessment of the Impacts of Cultural and Language Diversity in the National Hockey League”. In Breaking the Ice: The Economics of Hockey, ed. by Bernd Frick, 113–129. New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
Mongeon, Kevin, David Hedlund, and Ryan Spalding. 2017. “Analytics in the Sport Industry”. In Contemporary Sport Management (Sixth Edition), ed. by Paul Pedersen and Lucie Thibault. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
Mongeon, Kevin, and Neil Longley. 2017. “Team Level Referee Discrimination”. In Breaking the Ice: The Economics of Hockey, ed.
Mongeon, Kevin. 2017. “Expert Report on the Canadian Hockey League Wage Class Action Certification: Rebuttal and Policy Analysis”. Berg v. Canadian Hockey League 2016 ONSC 4466.
Mongeon, Kevin. 2017. “Expert Report on the Canadian Hockey League Wage Class Action Certification: Rebuttal and Policy Analysis”. Walter v. Western Hockey League 2016 ABQB 588.
Mongeon, Kevin. 2016. “Expert Report on the Economics of the Canadian Hockey League and its Team Members”. Berg v. Canadian Hockey League 2016 ONSC 4466.
Mongeon, Kevin. 2016. “Expert Report on the Economics of the Canadian Hockey League and its Team Members”. Walter v. Western Hockey League 2016 ABQB 588.
- Sport Economics
- Quantitative Analysis
- Sport Analytics
- Quantitative Data Analysis & Interpretation: Regression Designs
- Research Design and Evaluation
- Mongeon, Kevin, Ron Mittelhammer, and Michael Boyle (2015-2017). “Building Bayesian Updating Models and Testing for Biases: The Case of Sports Betting Markets.” Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Insight Development Grant. $50,750.
- Mongeon, Kevin (2016). “The Production of Winning and Losing Hockey Games.” In: Ottawa Hockey Analytics Conference. Ottawa, Ontario.
- Mongeon, Kevin (2014). “Statistics on Ice: Advances in Methods for the Analysis of Ice Hock” In: Joint Statistical Meetings. Boston, Massachusetts.
Interviewed in the newspaper
- “French NHL Referees Penalize English Players more Often: Study.” CBC News, March 2016
- “French Canadian NHL Referees give more Penalties to English Players, New Study Says.” National Post, March 2016
Interviewed on the radio and television
- “Analytics in Hockey.” CogecoTV, May 2016
- “Hockey Referee Bias.” Jody Porter, CBC Thunder Bay, March 2016
- “Hockey Analytics.” Christian Nol, Radio-Canada, October 2014