Associate Professor, Recreation and Leisure Studies
I am interested in how community, policy, and social inclusion/exclusion shape experiences in sport, recreation, and physical activity programs, especially in rural and remote municipalities. In my research, I use community-based and participatory methods to work with community organizers to understand and address local issues, in efforts to improve community health and wellbeing.
- Community sport and recreation policy.
- Rural and remote communities.
- Social Inclusion and exclusion.
- Community-based and participatory research methodologies.
- Canadian Association for Leisure Studies
- Leisure Studies Association
- Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation
- North American Society for Sport Management
- North American Society for the Sociology of Sport
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
- Rich, K. A., Spaaij, R., & Misener, L. (2021). Theorizing Community for Sport Management Research and Practice. Frontiers: Sports and Active Living. 3(774366), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.3389/fspor.2021.774366
- Rich, K. A., Hall, H., & Nelson, G.* (2021). State of Rural Canada 2021: Opportunities, Recovery, and Resiliency in Changing Times. Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation. Retrieved from https://sorc.crrf.ca/fullreport2021/
- Misener, L., Rich, K. A., & Pearson, E. (in press). Tensions and Opportunities in Researching Social Change in Sport Management. Sport Management Review. https://doi.org/10.1080/14413523.2021.1902123
- Rich, K. A. (2021). Rural sport spectacles: Ice hockey, mythologies, and meaning-making in rural Canada. Leisure Sciences, 43(6), 617-629 (Special Issue on Leisure myths and myth-making). https://doi.org/10.1080/01490400.2020.1870591
- Rich, K. A., Hoeber, L. & Weisgerber, A, (2020). The Battle of Little Big Puck: Narratives of Community, Sport, and Relationships in Rural Canada. Journal of Rural and Community Development, 15(3), 45-64. https://journals.brandonu.ca/jrcd/article/view/1781
- Rich, K. A. & Misener, L. (2019). Playing on the periphery: Troubling sport policy, systemic exclusion, and the place of rural sport in Canada. Sport in Society, 22(6), 1005-1024. https://doi.org/10.1080/17430437.2019.1565387
- Nelson, G.* & Rich, K. A. (in press). Community Context and Therapeutic Recreation Programming in Rural Long-Term Care: A Socio-ecological Examination. Leisure/Loisir. https://doi.org/10.1080/14927713.2021.1945942
- Quinton, J.,* Giles, A.R., & Rich, K. A. (in press). Missing masculinities: The need for gender transformative approaches in water safety promotion for men. Health Promotion Journal of Australia. https://doi.org/10.1002/hpja.490
- 10.Smart, S*., Rich, K. A., & Lauzon, A. (2020). Exploring the role of sport in the acculturation and livelihoods of newcomers to Canada. Journal of Sport for Development, 8(14) (Special issue on Sport and Livelihoods). Retrieved from https://jsfd.org/2020/07/01/exploring-migrant-families-acculturation-and-livelihoods-in-canada-and-the-role-of-sport-participation/
- Rich, K. A., Nelson, G.,* & Hall, H. (2021, November 17). COVID-19 accelerated many changes impacting rural communities – we need to support their resilience. The Conversation. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/covid-19-accelerated-many-changes-impacting-rural-communities-we-need-to-support-their-resilience-170253
- Rich, K. A. (2020). “Escaping” to Rural Canada during the pandemic. Rural Insight Series: COVID-19. Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation. Retrieved from http://crrf.ca/ri-escapingtorural/
- Rich, K. A., Pegoraro, A., & Backer, A. (2021, September 15). Data driven decision making – It is as easy as 1-2-3. Sport Information Resource Centre Blog. Retrieved from https://sirc.ca/blog/data-driven-decision-making/
- Rich, K. A. & Sharpe, E. (2021, August 31). Parks are about promoting everyone’s public health – not just boosting homeowners’ property value. The Conversation. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/parks-are-about-promoting-everyones-public-health-not-just-boosting-homeowners-property-value-166000
- Rich, K. A., Bodin, K., Morrison, K., Lawford, K., & Fairley, S. (2021, March 16). Resilience through adaptation: How sport organizations responded during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sport Information Resource Centre Blog. Retrieved from https://sirc.ca/blog/sport-organization-adaptation/
- Rich, K. A., Pegoraro, A., Ellison-Wareing, B.*, Ampofo-Dwomoh, P.*, Boggs, J., & Backer, A. (2020). Mapping Sport Participation Pilot Project: Row Ontario. Retrieved from https://f414f4e2-9ff5-4f31-bba3-2852ed7a9380.filesusr.com/ugd/4b33b8_baa933e62d0c4de29576798adc59e299.pdf
-Sociological Aspects of Leisure and Diversity
-Leisure and Health Promotion
-Current Issues in Community Recreation
Fleurie, T. (2019). Brock professor visits Valley to learn about Heritage Cup. The Eaganville Leader, Retrieved from https://www.eganvilleleader.ca/issue/190327.pdf
Junke, H. (2019). Faculty recognized at 15th annual Tribute to Teaching celebration. Brock News, Retrieved from https://brocku.ca/brock-news/2019/12/faculty-recognized-at-15th-annual-tribute-to-teaching-celebration/
Pecoskie, T. (2019). Is hockey weight loss program a good FIT? The Hamilton Spectator, Retrieved from https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/9155948-is-hockey-weight-loss-program-a-good-fit-/
Paul, D. (2019). Opeongo Heritage Cup celebrating cultural roots since 2006. The Madawaska Valley Current, Retrieved from https://madvalleycurrent.com/2019/03/24/opeongo-heritage-cup-celebrate-cultural-roots-since-2006/
Zanussi, R. (2016). Increasing access to sport, recreation in Powassan. Almaguin News, Retrieved from https://www.northbaynipissing.com/community-story/6271817-increasing-access-to-sport-recreation-in-powassan/