Associate Professor, Recreation and Leisure Studies
I am interested in how community, policy, and social inclusion/exclusion shape experiences in sport, recreation, and physical activity programs, especially in rural and remote municipalities. In my research, I use community-based and participatory methods to work with community organizers to understand and address local issues, in efforts to improve community health and wellbeing.
- Community sport and recreation policy.
- Rural and remote communities.
- Social Inclusion and exclusion.
- Community-based and participatory research methodologies.
- Canadian Association for Leisure Studies
- Leisure Studies Association
- Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation
- North American Society for Sport Management
- North American Society for the Sociology of Sport
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
- Rich, K. A., Nicholson, M., Randle, E., Staley, K., O’Halloran, P., Belski, R., Kappelides, P., & Donaldson, A. (2022). Participant-Centered sport development: A case study using the leisure constraints of women in regional communities. Leisure Sciences, 44(3), 323-342. https://doi.org/10.1080/01490400.2018.1553124
- Misener, L., Rich, K. A., & Pearson, E. (2022). Tensions and Opportunities in Researching Social Change in Sport Management. Sport Management Review, 25(2), 323-340. https://doi.org/10.1080/14413523.2021.1902123
- Rich, K. A., Spaaij, R., & Misener, L. (2021). Theorizing Community for Sport Management Research and Practice. Frontiers: Sports and Active Living. 3(774366), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.3389/fspor.2021.774366
- Rich, K. A., Hall, H., & Nelson, G.* (2021). State of Rural Canada 2021: Opportunities, Recovery, and Resiliency in Changing Times. Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation. Retrieved from https://sorc.crrf.ca/fullreport2021/
- Rich, K. A. (2021). Rural sport spectacles: Ice hockey, mythologies, and meaning-making in rural Canada. Leisure Sciences, 43(6), 617-629 (Special Issue on Leisure myths and myth-making). https://doi.org/10.1080/01490400.2020.1870591
- Rich, K. A., Hoeber, L. & Weisgerber, A, (2020). The Battle of Little Big Puck: Narratives of Community, Sport, and Relationships in Rural Canada. Journal of Rural and Community Development, 15(3), 45-64. https://journals.brandonu.ca/jrcd/article/view/1781
- Rich, K. A. & Misener, L. (2019). Playing on the periphery: Troubling sport policy, systemic exclusion, and the place of rural sport in Canada. Sport in Society, 22(6), 1005-1024. https://doi.org/10.1080/17430437.2019.1565387
- Nelson, G.* & Rich, K. A. (in press). Community Context and Therapeutic Recreation Programming in Rural Long-Term Care: A Socio-ecological Examination. Leisure/Loisir. https://doi.org/10.1080/14927713.2021.1945942
- Quinton, J.,* Giles, A.R., & Rich, K. A. (in press). Missing masculinities: The need for gender transformative approaches in water safety promotion for men. Health Promotion Journal of Australia. https://doi.org/10.1002/hpja.490
- 10.Smart, S*., Rich, K. A., & Lauzon, A. (2020). Exploring the role of sport in the acculturation and livelihoods of newcomers to Canada. Journal of Sport for Development, 8(14) (Special issue on Sport and Livelihoods). Retrieved from https://jsfd.org/2020/07/01/exploring-migrant-families-acculturation-and-livelihoods-in-canada-and-the-role-of-sport-participation/
- Rich, K. A. (2022, January 30). ‘Wicked Problems’: Government involvement in sport is fraught with issues. The Conversation. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/wicked-problems-government-involvement-in-sport-is-fraught-with-issues-175010
- Rich, K. A. & Borgen-Flood, T. (2022, May 17). 3 questions to ask political candidates about sport and recreation services. The Conversation. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/3-questions-to-ask-political-candidates-about-sport-and-recreation-services-182744
- Quinton, J. & Rich, K. A. (2022, December 7). Gay men, sport participation, and experiences of well being. Sport Information Resource Centre Blog. Re-trieved from https://sirc.ca/blog/positive-sport-experiences-gay-men/
- Rich, K. A., Nelson, G.,* & Hall, H. (2021, November 17). COVID-19 accelerated many changes impacting rural communities – we need to support their resilience. The Conversation. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/covid-19-accelerated-many-changes-impacting-rural-communities-we-need-to-support-their-resilience-170253
- Rich, K. A. (2020). “Escaping” to Rural Canada during the pandemic. Rural Insight Series: COVID-19. Canadian Rural Revitalization Foundation. Retrieved from http://crrf.ca/ri-escapingtorural/
- Rich, K. A., Pegoraro, A., & Backer, A. (2021, September 15). Data driven decision making – It is as easy as 1-2-3. Sport Information Resource Centre Blog. Retrieved from https://sirc.ca/blog/data-driven-decision-making/
- Rich, K. A. & Sharpe, E. (2021, August 31). Parks are about promoting everyone’s public health – not just boosting homeowners’ property value. The Conversation. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/parks-are-about-promoting-everyones-public-health-not-just-boosting-homeowners-property-value-166000
- Rich, K. A., Bodin, K., Morrison, K., Lawford, K., & Fairley, S. (2021, March 16). Resilience through adaptation: How sport organizations responded during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sport Information Resource Centre Blog. Retrieved from https://sirc.ca/blog/sport-organization-adaptation/
- Rich, K. A., Pegoraro, A., Ellison-Wareing, B.*, Ampofo-Dwomoh, P.*, Boggs, J., & Backer, A. (2020). Mapping Sport Participation Pilot Project: Row Ontario. Retrieved from https://f414f4e2-9ff5-4f31-bba3-2852ed7a9380.filesusr.com/ugd/4b33b8_baa933e62d0c4de29576798adc59e299.pdf
-Sociological Aspects of Leisure and Diversity
-Leisure and Health Promotion
-Current Issues in Community Recreation
Logan, C. (2021, October 4th). Rural communities are hit hard by climate change. More resources can help them bounce back. Canada’s National Observer. Retrieved from https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/10/04/news/rural-communities-are-hit-hard-climate-change-more-resources-can-help-them-bounce
Fleurie, T. (2019). Brock professor visits Valley to learn about Heritage Cup. The Eaganville Leader, Retrieved from https://www.eganvilleleader.ca/issue/190327.pdf
Junke, H. (2019). Faculty recognized at 15th annual Tribute to Teaching celebration. Brock News, Retrieved from https://brocku.ca/brock-news/2019/12/faculty-recognized-at-15th-annual-tribute-to-teaching-celebration/
Pecoskie, T. (2019). Is hockey weight loss program a good FIT? The Hamilton Spectator, Retrieved from https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/9155948-is-hockey-weight-loss-program-a-good-fit-/
Paul, D. (2019). Opeongo Heritage Cup celebrating cultural roots since 2006. The Madawaska Valley Current, Retrieved from https://madvalleycurrent.com/2019/03/24/opeongo-heritage-cup-celebrate-cultural-roots-since-2006/
Zanussi, R. (2016). Increasing access to sport, recreation in Powassan. Almaguin News, Retrieved from https://www.northbaynipissing.com/community-story/6271817-increasing-access-to-sport-recreation-in-powassan/
Available to supervise graduate students. Please reach out via email in advance of applying.
Available to supervise undergraduate directed studies and thesis research. Please reach out via email to discuss available opportunities.