Professor, Recreation & Leisure Studies
I have been a faculty member and practitioner in the field of therapeutic recreation for over 30 years. I have authored a number of publications and spoken across North America introducing the Leisure and Well-Being Model to field as a contemporary, strengths-based model of therapeutic recreation practice. My primary interests focus on the role of leisure and therapeutic recreation services in living well with mental illness. I am engaged in research that develops and examines best-practice therapeutic recreation interventions for individuals with mental health challenges. I am also a Registered Psychotherapist with a small private practice in St. Catharines.
- Therapeutic Recreation and living well with illness and disability
- Therapeutic Recreation for individuals with mental illness
- Evidence based practice in Therapeutic Recreation
- Trauma-Informed Therapeutic Recreation
- *Registered Psychotherapist, College of Registered Psychotherapist in Ontario
- Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist, National Council on Therapeutic Recreation Certification
- Member, Canadian Association of Psychodynamic Therapy
- Member, Canadian Therapeutic Recreation Association
Cripps, L., & Hood, C. (2017). The art and science of empathy: The initiation of a dialectical conversation. Therapeutic Recreation: Practice and Research; Journal of Therapeutic Recreation Ontario, 12, 11-20.
Hood, C., & Carruthers, C. (2016). Supporting the development of a strengths-based narrative: Applying the Leisure and Well-Being Model in outpatient mental health services. Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 50(2), 103-117.
Hood, C., & Carruthers, C. (2016). Creating strengths-based TR programs using the Leisure and Wellbeing Model: Translating theory into practice. Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 50(1), 4-20.
Carruthers, C. & Hood, C. (2016). Mindfulness in Therapeutic Recreation. In J. Dattilo (Ed.) Facilitation Techniques in Therapeutic Recreationm 3rd Ed., Champaign, IL: Sagamore
Carruthers, C., & Hood, C. (2016). Cognitive behavioral counseling techniques. In H. Porter (Ed.), Recreational therapy handbook of practice: ICF-Based diagnosis and treatment (2nd Ed.). Enumclaw, WA: Idyll Arbor.
Hood, C., & Carruthers, C. (2016). Leisure education. In H. Porter (Ed.), Recreational therapy handbook of practice: ICF-Based diagnosis and treatment (2nd Ed.). Enumclaw, WA: Idyll Arbor.
Carruthers, C., & Hood, C. (2013). Mindfulness-based therapeutic recreation intervention. ATRA Annual in Therapeutic Recreation, 21, 73-79.
Hood, C., & Carruthers, C. (2012). Therapeutic recreation: Enhancing well-being through leisure. In T. Freire (Ed.), Positive leisure science (pp. 121-140). New York: Springer.
Hood, C. (2012). Coping. In J. Rippe (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Lifestyle Health and Medicine. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Carruthers, C., & Hood, C. (2011). Mindfulness and well-being: Implications for therapeutic recreation practice. Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 45, 171-189
- Introduction to Recreation and Leisure Studies
- Therapeutic Recreation and Persons with Disabilities
- Therapeutic Recreation and Behavioral Health
- Advanced Methods in Therapeutic Recreation
- Facilitatation Techniques in Therapeutic Recreation
- Foundations of Leisure Studies
- Positive Leisure Science: Individual and Community Well-Being
- Strengths-based Facilitation Techniques