Anatomy Senior Lab Demonstrator
Dr. Mezil is a scientist, educator, and artist. She received her PhD in Pediatric Exercise Physiology where she investigated the systemic effects of exercise on muscle and bone growth in children and adults. She has also been teaching human anatomy at undergraduate and professional rehabilitation programs utilizing experiential and arts-based approaches. Alongside her research and teaching career, Dr. Mezil is also a Medical Illustrator whose work can be viewed in peer reviewed articles and art galleries alike.
- Muscle and bone physiology
- Arts-based research and knowledge translation
- Impact of early anatomical training on student perceptions and careers
- American Association of Anatomy
- Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology
- Mezil, Y., Sharma, B., Cross, A., Akhtar-Danesh, N., Raha, S. and Timmons, B.W. (2020), Exercise Messengers: Exploring Student‐Learning Perceptions of a Science Animation Video using Q‐methodology. The FASEB Journal, 34: 1-1. https://doi.org/10.1096/fasebj.2020.34.s1.06843
- Mezil Y, Obeid J, Raha S, Hawke TJ, Timmons BW. The Systemic Effects of Exercise on Regulators of Muscle and Bone in Girls and Women. Pediatr Exerc Sci. 2020 Jun 12:1-7. doi: 10.1123/pes.2019-0179. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32531761.
- Falk B, Haddad F, Klentrou P, Ward W, Kish K, Mezil Y, Radom-Aizik S. Differential sclerostin and parathyroid hormone response to exercise in boys and men. Osteoporos Int. 2016 Mar;27(3):1245-1249. doi: 10.1007/s00198-015-3310-z. Epub 2015 Sep 11. PMID: 26361948; PMCID: PMC4767572.
- Mezil YA, Allison D, Kish K, Ditor D, Ward WE, Tsiani E, Klentrou P. Response of Bone Turnover Markers and Cytokines to High-Intensity Low-Impact Exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2015 Jul;47(7):1495-502. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000555. PMID: 25373482.
- Kish K, Mezil Y, Ward WE, Klentrou P, Falk B. Effects of plyometric exercise session on markers of bone turnover in boys and young men. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2015 Oct;115(10):2115-24. doi: 10.1007/s00421-015-3191-z. Epub 2015 May 29. PMID: 26016944.
- Thoma A, Levis C, Patel P, Murphy J, Duku E. Partial Versus Total Trapeziectomy Thumb Arthroplasty: An Expertise-based Feasibility Study. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2018 Mar 19;6(3):e1705. doi: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000001705. PMID: 29707461; PMCID: PMC5908511.
- Augustine HFM, Coroneos CJ, Choi M, Bain JR. Adjunctive Dorsal Scapular Nerve Transfer to Suprascapular Nerve for Brachial Plexus Birth Injuries: Case Series. J Hand Surg Am. 2019 Oct;44(10):902.e1-902.e9. doi: 10.1016/j.jhsa.2018.12.008. Epub 2019 Feb 6. PMID: 30737063.
- Thoma A, Karpinski M. Involvement of the Interosseous and Lumbrical Muscle-Tendon Units in the Lateral and Spiral Cords in Dupuytren’s Disease of the Middle Fingers. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017 Jul;140(1):116-124. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000003419. PMID: 28654597.
Human Musculoskeletal Anatomy