My research interests are focused on understanding the determinants and consequences of participation behaviour (e.g., physical activity, eating behaviours, etc.) using motivational concepts, and applied measurement issues with an emphasis on instrument development and evaluation. I am particularly interested in applications of Self-Determination Theory to the study of motivational and psychological well-being issues in various contexts, as well as, instructional platforms that can be used to develop skills in motivational interviewing for kinesiologists.
- Motivational processes and health behaviours
- Motivational interviewing and physical activity behaviours
- Applied measurement issues in behavioural health sciences
- Canadian Society for Psychomotor Learning and Sport Psychology (SCAPPS)
- International Scholar, Faculty of Self-Determination Theory
- International Faculty, Motivation in Educational Research Lab, National Institute of Education, Singapore
Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology
- Sport, Exercise and Performance Psychology
- American Journal of Health Behavior
- Health Behavior & Policy Review
Wilson, P. M., Kelley, C., Mack, D. E., & Wierts, C. M. (2019). Physical activity counseling in kinesiology curricular: What is offered in Ontario? International Journal of Kinesiology & Sports Sciences, 7, 1-10.
Wierts, C. M., Wilson, P. M., & Mack, D. E. (2019). Awareness and use of motivational interviewing by Canadian university sport coaches. International Journal of Evidence-Based Coaching & Mentorship, 17, 63-71. doi: 10.24384/k0xn-af87
Santos, E. S., Wilson, P. M., & Mack, D. E. (2018). Does exergaming promote well-being in adults? Health & Fitness Journal of Canada, 11, 5-14. doi: https://doi.org/10.14288/hfjc.v11i2.259
Deck, S., Wilson, P. M., & Mack. D. E. (2018). Rehabilitating following a sport injury: Do the motives of the athlete and the athletic therapist matter? Archives of Physical Health & Sports Medicine, 1(2): 1-7.
Wilson, P. M., Mack, D. E., & Blanchard, C. M. (2016). Use of digital technology to monitor dietary intake and physical activity: Issues of compliance in commercial weight-loss program users. The Health & Fitness Journal of Canada, 9, 3-11.
Wilson, P. M., Sabiston, C. M., Mack, D. E., & Blanchard, C. M. (2012). On the nature and function of scoring protocols used in exercise motivation research: An empirical study of the Behavioral Regulation in Exercise Questionnaire. Psychology of Sport & Exercise, 13, 614-622
Gunnell, K. E., Crocker, P. R. E., Mack, D. E., Wilson, P. M., & Zumbo, B. D. (2014). Goal contents, motivation, psychological need satisfaction, well-being, and physical activity: A test of self-determination theory over six months. Psychology of Sport & Exercise, 15, 19-29. doi: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2013.08.005
Pope, J. P., & Wilson, P. M. (2014). Testing a sequence of relationships from interpersonal coaching styles to rugby performance guided by the coach-athlete motivation model. International Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 13, 258-272. doi: 10.1080/1612197X.2014.956325
- Measurement Issues in Applied Health Sciences Research
- Research Design and Evaluation
- Physical Activity Counselling for Kinesiologists