The Strategic Transition for Accomplished and Recognized Students (STARS) program allows local high school students in the Niagara Region enrolled in a less than full-time load of six Grade 12 U or M courses to register concurrently in one credit at Brock University, free of charge (tuition and ancillary fees waived; studio and other course material fees may apply).
To be eligible for the STARS Program:
- Students must be taking a less than full-time course load of six Grade 12 U or M courses, be on track to register in a sufficient number of Grade 12 U or M courses to complete the requirements for an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), and should be entering their graduating year of studies (e.g., Gr. 12, Gr. 12 B)
- A minimum 90% average based on highest four Grade 11 and/or Grade 12 level credits completed
- Be recommended by their school Guidance Counsellor, or for home-based learners, the main educator
- Students must have fulfilled any pre-requisites needed for the Brock undergraduate course(s) they are interested in taking
- Students must be local and studying the OSSD in the Niagara Region
Documents and information needed to complete this form include:
- High school transcript showing grades 9, 10, 11, and any completed grade 12 courses
- Letter of recommendation from school Guidance Counsellor (on the school’s letterhead) or main educator for home-based learners
- Provide the course code(s) of the Brock course you are interested in taking
Deadline and Next Steps
The application for the 2023-2024 year will open in Spring 2023 (May 1, 2023 for Summer 2023 participation, and June 1, 2023 for Fall/Winter 2023-2024 participation). Once open, the Declaration Form can be completed below.
If you have any questions about the STARS program, visit our website or e-mail email@example.com.
Applicants can review the first-year course choices using Brock’s Course Timetable. The Summer timetable will be available in February 2023, and the Fall/Winter timetable will be available in June 2023.
Selected course(s) must be at the first-year level, as signified by the number “1” in the course code. Be sure to review pre-requisite information for the course(s) you are interested in taking, as you will need to ensure you have completed the appropriate pre-requisite.
Ensuring there is no conflict between Grade 12 courses and any courses taken through the STARS program is the responsibility of the applicant. Be sure to consider the date, time, and delivery method of the course at Brock before making your selection.
If you need support with selecting courses that fit your interests and schedule, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
“I was given the opportunity to take GEOG 1F91 during my time in the STARS program while in my final year of high school. From this experience, I was able to learn how a university course works and how to complete university assignments. It also allowed me to acquire credit for the studies I chose to pursue in Biological Sciences at Brock. I would strongly recommend the STARS program to any high school student interested in gaining university experience ahead of time” – 2021-2022 STARS Participant
Thanks for your interest in applying for STARS. Applications will be accepted for Summer 2023 participation between May 1 – May 30, 2023. If you have any questions about the program or need support completing the application, visit our website or e-mail email@example.com.
Thanks for your interest in applying for STARS. Applications will be accepted for Fall/Winter 2023-2024 participation between June 1 – July 3, 2023. If you have any questions about the program or need support completing the application, visit our website or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.