Faculty of Education
First, I wish to acknowledge and thank the following colleagues for their administrative service to the Faculty of Education: Dr. Sheila Bennett's term as Chair of the Department of Teacher Education has been extended to December 2014. In January 2015 Incoming Chair of the Department of Teacher Education will be Dr. Candace Figg. On July 1, 2014 Dr. Mary Louise Vanderlee becomes Chair of the Department of Graduate and Undergraduate Studies. Sincere thanks to Dr. Renee Kuchapski for her hard work and leadership as Chair over the last four years.
Tenure and Promotion
I extend sincere congratulations to the following colleagues. On July 1 2014 they will be tenured/promoted:
Department of Teacher Education
Dr. Kari-Lynn Winters promoted to Associate Professor with tenure
Dr. Joe Barrett promoted to Associate Professor with tenure
Department of Graduate and Undergraduate Studies
Dr. Catherine Hands promoted to Associate Professor with tenure
Dr. Mary Louise Vanderlee promoted to Full Professor
The new “extended” program will start in September 2015 and will impact both concurrent and consecutive teacher education programs. It will be four terms in length with practicum extended from 40 days to 80. Our practica have always been longer than the minimum and will range between 90 and 100 days.
Faculty Successes: International Initiatives
- We are engaged in expansion of our international research, teaching and learning partnerships. We have worked on numerous MOUs with international partner Faculties of Education including North-West University South Africa; Universiteit Ghent, Belgium; Australian Catholic University; University of Sheffield; Cape Coast University, Ghana; Mehmet Akif Ersoy University and Hong Kong University. These agreements include programs, research partnerships and exchanges between faculty, graduate and undergraduate students. This past year we hosted numerous visiting international scholars and professors and five extraordinary professor appointments.
- The Associate Dean Research and International is playing a lead role as Chair of the Dean’s International Advisory Committee. Some of our current international programs include the Centre for Adult Education and Community Outreach online non visa B.Ed; the ESL program in China offered by Continuing Teacher Education, the M.Ed ISP offered by the Department of Graduate and Undergraduate Studies and the Pre Masters Certificate Program. We offer teaching practica in nine countries. Our Faculty of Education is burgeoning with regard to international initiatives, with multiple research, program and unit partnerships and an extensive publication record relating to knowledge mobilization internationally.
Faculty Successes: Internal
- Over the past academic year we have enjoyed numerous conferences and research events, all of which buttress our research culture. These include the Teaching with Technology Showcase; the CONNECT conference; The Arts Matter conference; Graduate Studies, Concurrent Education, the Bachelor of Early Childhood Education Research Celebration and the M.Ed ISP research poster sessions.
- On June 4, 2014, we held our first Alumni Awards breakfast to coincide with Faculty of Education convocation. The winner of the Alumni Award for Service was Rian McLaughlin. Dr. Kari-Lynn Winters won the award for Excellence in Teaching and Robert Mroz won the award for Excellence in Sessional Teaching.
- I thank Dolana Mogadime for her lead role as Coordinator of CSSE at Congress, which was held at Brock in May, 2014. Congress overall was a great success. For Congress the Faculty of Education produced a unique, in-depth overview of its people and programs. I invite you to read more here.
This has been a full and productive year. We are burgeoning. I thank Faculty, Staff, Students and Part-Time Instructors for their dedication to the best Faculty of Education in Canada. Our reputation and impact continues to grow. Please come back and visit our web site on a regular basis to stay up-to-date and informed on the news, events, and activities in the Faculty of Education at Brock University.
Fiona Blaikie, PhD
Professor and Dean
Professor and Dean
Dr. Fiona Blaikie
Dean, Faculty of Education
PhD in Educational Studies Thesis Defence – Kelly Rizzo
July 25, 2014 - 10:00am
PhD in Educational Studies Thesis Defence – Rebecca Zak
August 28, 2014 - 2:00pm
PhD in Educational Studies Thesis Defence – Katia Ciampa
August 19, 2014 - 10:00am