December 6, 2009, will mark the 20th anniversary of the tragedy known as the “Montreal Massacre”, during which 14 women were killed at Ecole Polytechnique in Montreal on December 6, 1989. Each year, our community comes together on or around December 6th (Canada’s National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women) to remember those victims and to engage in discussion and action towards eliminating violence against women and addressing the systemic issues and biases which continue to perpetuate such violence.
Here at Brock, the events of December 6, 1989, were the impetus for the creating of the Women’s Studies Program (now the Centre for Women’s Studies), which was approved by the University Senate in 1990. The Centre for Women’s Studies is dedicated to the memory of the 14 women engineering students who died at the Ecole Polytechnique in 1989, and whose death dramatized the need for a better understanding of the relationships between women and men.
This 2009/2010 academic year, several departments and groups from Brock and the local community are partnering to deliver "A Year in Remembrance and Action", a slate of diverse events and programming to recognize the significance of this 20th anniversary. As we have for the past 19 years, we will honour the 14 women who lost their lives and we will seek to continue the discussion and action necessary to work towards eliminating violence against women. Our slate of events begins this Friday, November 20, 2009, with the Reel Life Film Series showing of the film “Polytechnique” at 7:00 p.m. in Thistle 325. The film will be hosted by Astrida Neimanis, Centre for Women’s Studies, and Hans Skott-Myhre, Department of Child and Youth Studies and Chair of the Men Against Rape and Sexual Assault Committee. Highlights of other upcoming events include:
· Reel Life Film Series: “After the Montreal Massacre” – Thursday, November 26, 2009, 5:30 p.m., Sankey Chambers
· White Ribbon Campaign – November 25-December 6
· Brock Men Walk To Stop Violence Against Women – Thursday, December 3, 2009 – walk and reception
· Montreal Massacre Memorial Service – Thursday, December 3, 2009, 5:30 p.m., Tower Lobby
· Residence “Take Back the Night” Walk – Saturday, December 5, 2009
· Self Defense Workshop, January, 2010
· Body Image Awareness Week, January 18-22, 2010
· Brock Diversity Workshop Series: Love Your Body Workshop, Thursday, January 21, 2010
· Reel Life Film Series: “4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days” – Friday, January 22, 2010
· International Women’s Day, March 8, 2010
· Aboriginal Women’s Day, March 18, 2010
· Social Justice Forum, March 20, 2010
Events are brought to you by a partnership of the following: Centre for Women’s Studies, Office of Human Rights and Equity Services, Brock University Faculty Association’s Status of Women Committee, Justice at Brock Committee, Men Against Rape and Sexual Assault Committee, Department of Residences, Campus Ministries, Brock Diversity Peers, Student Health Services Peers, O.P.I.R.G., Brock University Students’ Union, the Library/Matheson Learning Commons, and Aboriginal Student Services.