- About Us
- Strategic Plan (PDF)
- Borrowing Policies
- Code of Conduct
- Collection Development Policy
- Computer Laptop Lending Policy
- Computer Access Policy
- Correspondence Policy
- Food and Drink Policy
- Guidelines for the Appropriate Use of Library Workstations
- Inclement Weather Policy
- Information Literacy/Library Research Skills Policy
- Photography & Filming Policy
- Privacy and Protection of Information
- Reserve Collection Policy
- Study and Work Space
- Interlibrary Loan Policies
- Library Access for the Local Community
- Library Donation Policy
- Personal Belongings Guidelines
- Matheson Learning Commons
- Support the Library
- Open Access
- Digital Repository
- Map Library
- Special Collections and Archives
- Instructional Resource Centre
- Government and Legal Information
- Data Research Service
- Ask the Library
- Finding Books & Articles
- Borrowing from the Library
- Advanced Research
- Writing & Citing
- Tech Help
Inclement Weather Policy
James A. Gibson Library
Inclement Weather Policy
In the event of inclement weather, the Library will observe the University’s Inclement Weather Policy, and these additional policies and procedures.
1. WHEN CLASSES ARE CANCELLED BY 7 A.M.:
- The University Library and the Map Library will remain closed.
- This information will be communicated through a notice on the Library’s home page and through a recorded message on the Circulation Services telephone number (905-688-5550, ext. 3228).
2. WHEN CLASSES ARE CANCELLED DURING BUSINESS HOURS:
- The University Library and the Map Library will close. The University Librarian or designate will decide on an appropriate closing time in consultation with key staff.
- Information will be provided to library users through frequent announcements on the public address system, and through notices on the Library’s home page, and in strategic and high traffic areas. Campus Security Services will assist in clearing the library floors.
- Library users are not required to return borrowed materials during the inclement weather period. Due dates will be adjusted accordingly.
THE ABOVE PROTOCOL WILL ALSO BE OBSERVED ON EVENINGS, WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS.
3. PROCEDURES FOR STAFF:
If the University and the Library remain open during inclement weather, all library staff are expected to make every reasonable effort to report for work. However, staff are advised not to take unnecessary personal risks when it is not safe to travel to work. If weather conditions make it impossible to maintain a reasonable level of service, the University Library, including the Map Library, will close.
When classes are cancelled by 7 a.m.:
- The Associate University Librarian, Services and Facilities or designate will post a message on the Library’s home page and adjust the Circulation Services telephone greeting.
- Library staff are responsible for checking the Brock website, portal, and/or telephone switchboard, and for listening to local radio station announcements of closures at the University.
- A decision to offer evening classes will be announced before 3 pm. If evening classes are offered, the Library will open at 5 pm. A notice to this effect will be posted on the Library’s home page. Staff who are scheduled to work during the evening are responsible for checking the media to determine whether the University will be open.
When classes are cancelled during business hours:
- The University Librarian or designate will decide on an appropriate closing time for the Library in consultation with key staff.
- All department heads will be notified, who in turn will advise their staff of the closure.
- Circulation Services staff will make frequent announcements on the Library’s public address system, advising users of the specific closing time; the status of classes; and the return time of reserve materials and laptops.
- The Associate University Librarian, Services and Facilities, will advise Library Systems staff to post a notice on the Library’s home page and will notify Campus Security Services and the switchboard of the closing time. Campus Security Services will assist library staff in clearing the floors.
- Signs will be posted in strategic and high use areas, including the service desks on the main floor, University Library and Map Library entrance doors, and the Library elevator doors.
- Department heads will contact library staff scheduled to work later in the day to advise them not to report for work.
Evening, weekend and holiday procedures:
- If inclement weather develops before the Library opens on weekends and holidays, staff are expected to listen for local radio station announcements of closures at the University.
- If inclement weather develops during opening hours, Campus Security Services will advise Circulation Services staff to close the Library. The senior staff member on duty should contact the University Librarian or designate to decide on an appropriate closing time. If the University Librarian or designate cannot be reached, the recommendation of Campus Security Services will be followed. Circulation Services staff will contact those scheduled to work later in the day or evening to advise them not to report for work.
- The same closing protocol listed above will be followed.