Program Review Q & A’s

Q How broadly should an administrative program be defined? Does it extend beyond the administrative assistant to include other positions/activities that are involved in management and supervision?

A Programs should be reasonably homogeneous. If there is a group of people in your unit performing significantly similar tasks, then this would constitute a program. Keep in mind that a Program Assessment Report will have to be completed for all programs, so you do not want to have too many, small programs.


Q With regards to the L1 and L2 signing levels, are departments signing at the L1 level and the Dean’s Office signing off at the L2 level on all departments and Faculty services?

A People with L1 authority have the ability to sign off for their unit. However, they should check with their supervisor to see the extent to which the L2 authority wants to be involved.


Q Are the duties associated with a Dean to be reported by the Dean’s Office, or is that being managed by the Provost and VP Academic Office?

A Duties within the Dean’s office (or any other unit for that matter) should be reported in that office. In other words, the person who is responsible for supervising the people and for managing the budget should report.


Q How are we to report the Faculty Budget Officer, who has a dual report to Finance but is being paid fully from our Faculty budget?  Are they being included in the Finance report?

A This position should be reported through the Dean’s office. This person is an employee of the Dean’s office, even though he or she has some reporting responsibilities elsewhere.


Q I realize there is a means to delete and add programs, however, is there a means to correct data already loaded by you folks? Or are we to delete the listing and re-add the entire information correctly?

A The proper process is to delete the pre-loaded information, and then add the new information.


Q We have an admin assistant in Chemistry who also does the administrative support for Biotechnology, and one in Physics who does the same for Neuroscience. Their salaries are billed to Chemistry and Physics respectively, and to date we have not transferred the percentage of costs over to the Centres’ budget. Should we indicate the appropriate Centre budget lines?

A If the person is performing a service for a department, then this should be considered a program within that department.


Q At the information session I attended, there was a comment that courses that exclusively service other departments should be listed as a separate program. In CHYS we do not have this, but we do have three courses that substantially service Concurrent Education students as well as our own. How do you recommend we list these types of courses?

A A service course is a course that is mounted entirely to meet the needs of students in other programs, and not students in your programs. Courses that are mounted for students in your program would be considered a part of your department’s degree programs, even if students from other departments take those courses.


Q Who is expected to complete the Program Identification Forms?

A Everyone with L1 and L2 signing authority has been sent forms which they will need to complete.


Q Can a program cross organizational boundaries? How should reporting for this type of program be handled?

A A program is defined by the target audience and the nature of activities performed. We have many programs that cross organizational boundaries. However, this should not be taken too far. If your unit has a program which requires only limited consultation or interaction with other units, that would not be considered a joint program.

Programs that cross boundaries should only be reported once. It is up to the people involved to decide which unit will report the program. There will be ample opportunity at the Program Assessment stage to describe the roles of the various organizational units in the program.


Q How should I handle articulation agreements?

A Some articulation agreements are separate programs, and some are not. An articulation agreement should be seen as a separate program when components of the program provided by Brock and our partner are sufficiently intertwined that the student could not complete the degree without taking courses at both places. A typical program of this type would see the student at Brock for the first two years, at a college for third year (taking courses that would not be available at Brock), and coming back to Brock in fourth year.

An articulation agreement that would not be a separate program is one that enables a student to enter a Brock program with advanced standing. An example of this would be an agreement that allows a student to enter a Brock program in second or third year after completing certain specified courses at a college. Structurally, this is not really different from any other transfer being admitted to Brock.

Please note that, for technical reasons, some articulation programs have been pre-loaded into a department page twice. For example, the two entries below are really the same programs.

Articulation: Brock-Fanshawe Advanced Film Making (FAFM)
Bachelor of Arts (4YRS) Brock-Fanshawe Advanced Film Making

In situations like these, you should disagree with the first item so that it will disappear, and you should agree with the second item because this is really the degree program.


Have a question about the Program Review?   Send it to

Comments are closed.