In the spring of 2012, Custodial Services installed two waste compactors one at the Schmon Tower loading dock, the other at Mackenzie Chown G Block. These waste compactors are design to compact waste therefore reducing the frequency of trips by the waste hauler resulting in operational savings. Custodial Services and Sodexo staff are the main users of these compactors.
The waste compactors were purchased from Reaction Distributing Inc. The Tower compactor has a capacity of 28 cubic yards and requires service (emptied) every two weeks, previous waste containers were serviced daily. This unit has a sealed container reducing odours and controls wildlife in this area.
The waste compactor at Mackenzie Chown G Block is smaller, it has a capacity of 8 cubic yards and requires service (emptied) weekly, the previous container was serviced daily.
- The university produces approximately 470,000 kgs of waste yearly which is sent to landfill
- The Schmon Tower waste station generates approximately 140,000 kgs of waste annually
- The Mackenzie Chown waste station generates approximately 26,500 kgs of waste annually
- The Tower compactor has a compaction force of 50,000 lbs
- The Mackenzie Chown compactor has a compaction force of 28,000 lbs
- The Tower waste compactor cost $30,000 with a pay back period of 4 years
- The Mackenzie Chown waste compactor cost $15,000 with a pay back period of 4 years
Waste compactor servicing the Schmon Tower at Brock University