- Recreation Services
- Facilities & Hours
- Activities & Courses
- Child/Youth Programs
- All basic volleyball rules apply except for the listed exceptions.
- Three players from each team are on the court at a time
- Service area is 3 feet from each end of the court.
- Games are 30 minutes in length.
- Time outs called by captains only at end of point played. (Limit: 1 time out, 30 seconds each per game.)
- Games are self-refereed.
- Two substitutions per game allowed, made after a stoppage in play.
- Any player who is not playing must either be outside in the hallway or upstairs watching from the gallery (while the ball is in play the door must be kept closed!).
- Rock, Paper, Scissors will determine first service or choice of court side.
- Out of bounds is when a ball hits the ceiling while crossing the net, goes into the gallery, hits the back wall of opponent’s side or two walls consecutively.
- The ceiling and back wall on own side is in bounds if own player touches it first.
- The service must be a clean contact with the ball. Pushing the ball or rolling the ball off the fingers (paint brush) is not allowed.
- Rotation order must be kept prior to serving.
- If the ball is only partly across the net, and the opponent hits it, it is good.
- Blocker(s) can reach over the net to block, providing the other team has made its third contact of the ball.
- Blocking or attacking a serve is illegal.
- Touching the net is not allowed by players, unless the ball is driven into the net and the net hits the player.
- If two opposing players touch the net simultaneously the point is replayed.
- If a ball is touched on a block, the team still has 3 hits and the blocker can make any of these hits.
- Contacting two or more walls is allowed only by the team in possession of the ball on their own side, provided a player on that team touches the ball first. The ball must also be touched by another player before going over on multiple wall hit.
- Holding, pushing, scooping, lifting or carrying the ball is not allowed, it must be a clean hit.
- If two players on the same team, hit the ball simultaneously, it counts as one hit and either player can play the next hit.
- A ball can hit the back wall and over the net directly (when being played by your side), but if two walls are touched, another player must touch it before going over the net.
- If a ball spins across to the opponent’s side and back to yours on the 1st or 2nd hit, you can play your 2nd or 3rd hit. If it is on the 3rd hit that it spins back, loss of point or side out occurs.
- An open hand dunk of the ball is illegal, it must be a paint brush hit, a clean hit, closed fist, knuckle, cobra shot or soft spike.
- A ball cannot be contacted below the waist.
- Rude conduct constitutes a warning, two penalties means expulsions.
- On a block, if two players touch the ball, the teams still has 3 hits.
- On a spike return, a double hit is allowed on the first player, if the player makes two attempts or the 2nd player double hits the ball, that would be a double hit and a loss of point.
Default Score is 20-0