Department of Classics
Associate Professor, Greek Archaeology
BA (Dartmouth), MPhil (Cambridge), MA, PhD (Bryn Mawr)
Department of Classics
St Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
Phone: 905 688 5550 ext. 3798
Fax: 905 984 4589
Teaching 2014-2015 (on leave winter 2015):
- CLAS 4V22/5V22: Archaeology of Death (fall)
- CLAS 2P32: Introduction to Archaeology (fall
Dr. Smith’s research interests focus on issues of mortuary archaeology, ceramic analysis, and issues of identity in the Bronze Age Aegean. He is currently an associate director of excavations at the Minoan town of Gournia on Crete and co-directing the publication of excavations at the Mycenaean cemetery of Ayia Sotira near Ancient Nemea. He has published on the pottery and society of the Late Minoan III cemetery and settlement at Mochlos on Crete, as well as the cemetery at Ayia Sotira in Nemea.
Select recent publications:
- 2014. With M.K. Dabney “The Life of a Tomb: Investigating the Use, Reuse and Reconstruction of Mycenaean Chamber Tombs at Ayia Sotira (Nemea),” Meditations on the Diversity of the Built Environment in the Aegean Basin: A Colloquium in Memory of Frederick E. Winter, Publications of the Canadian Institute in Greece, No. 8. (Athens: Canadian Institute in Greece), pp. 145-160.
- 2014. With E. Pappi, M. Dabney, S. Triantaphyllou, and J. Wright, "Ayia Sotira Cemetery Excavations, Ancient Nemea: 2006-2008," in Corinthia and the Northeast Peloponnesus: Topography and History from Prehistoric Times until the End of Antiquity, Proceedings of a Conference Held on March 26-29, 2009 in Loutraki, Greece (Athens: Deutsches Archäologisches Intitut), pp. 363-370.
- 2012. With P. Karkanas, M.K. Dabney, and J.C. Wright. "The geoarchaeology of Mycenaean chamber tombs," Journal of Archaeological Science 39, pp. 2722-2732.
- 2012. With M. Dabney, "Children and Adornment in Mycenaean Funerary Ritual at Ayia Sotira, Nemea," in M.-L. Nosch and R. Laffineur (eds.) KOSMOS: 13th International Aegean Conference, held at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 19-23 April 2010, pp. 441-446.
- 2011. With Jeffrey S. Soles et al. Mochlos IIC. Period IV. The Mycenaean Settlement and Cemetery: The Human Remains and Other Finds (INSTAP Academic Press).
- 2011. With W. Gauss, M. Lindblom and J.C. Wright (eds.) Our Cups are Full: Pottery and Society in the Aegean Bronze Age (Oxford, U.K.: Archaeopress).
- 2010. Mochlos IIB: The Late Minoan III Settlement and Cemetery. The Pottery. INSTAP Academic Press.
Select recent papers:
- 2014. With M.K. Dabney and J.C. Wright, "The Mycenaean Cemetery at Ayia Sotira, Nemea," Archaeological Institute of America Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- 2014. "Breaking Ground: Founding and Feasting at Minoan Gournia." Brock University Department of Classics Research Seminar, Brock University.
- 2013. "Pottery from the Late Minoan III Cemetery at Myrsini Aspropilia." Invited paper for How Long is a Century? Late Minoan IIIB pottery: Relative chronology and regional differences, Université Catholique de Louvain (at Louvain-la-Neuve), October 24-25.
- 2013. "The Humble Dead: Mortuary Ritual in the Mycenaean Hinterland." Archaeological Institute of America, Toronto Chapter, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario.
- 2012. With Mary K. Dabney "The Life of a Tomb: Investigating the Use, Reuse and Reconstruction of Mycenaean Chamber Tombs at Ayia Sotira (Nemea)," Invited paper for Meditations on the Diversity of the Built Environment in the Aegean Basin: A Colloquium in Memory of Frederick E. Winter, Canadian Institute in Greece. 22-23 June 2012. Athens, Greece.
- 2012. With M.K. Dabney, G. Kotzamani, A. Livarda, G. Tsartsidou, and J.C. Wright "Plant Use in Mycenaean Mortuary Practice," PHYSIS: L’environnement naturel et la relation homme-milieu dans le monde égéen protohistorique. 14e Rencontre Égéenne Internationale, Paris, France.
- 2012. "Tiny Beads in Tiny Burials: Adorning the Dead Child in Mycenaean Greece." Brock University Department of Classics Research Seminar, Brock University, St. Catharines, Ontario.
- 2011. With M.K. Dabney, J.C. Wright, E. Pappi, P. Karkanas, and S. Triantaphyllou "The Excavation of Mycenaean Chamber Tombs at Barnavos and Ayia Sotira in the Nemea Valley." Death, Decay, and Discovery: An interdisciplinary workshop on taphonomic approaches to understanding burial practice at the Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World, Brown University, Providence, RI.
- 2011. "Child Burials at the Mycenaean Cemetery of Ayia Sotira, Nemea, Greece." Invited paper at Death and Identity in the Ancient and Medieval World, a workshop held at the Program for Hellenic Studies, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ.
- President, Niagara Peninsula Chapter, Archaeological Institute of America
- Brock University Representative to the Board, Canadian Institute in Greece, formerly Canadian Archaeological Institute in Athens
- Brock University Representative to the Managing Committee, American School of Classical Studies at Athens
Institute for Aegean Prehistory Study Center for East Crete (INSTAP-SCEC)
Canadian Institute in Greece (formerly Canadian Archaeological Institute at Athens)
Gournia Excavation Project
Ayia Sotira Excavation Project