Department of Classics
Assistant Professor, Greek Epic and Mythology
Graduate Program Director
BA (University of British Columbia), MA, PhD (University of Toronto)
Department of Classics
St Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
Phone: 905 688 5550 ext. 4158
Fax: 905 984 4859
- GREE 2P01: Language and Literature I (fall)
- GREE 2P02: Language and Literature II (winter)
- GREE 4P11: Greek Oratory and Dialogue I (winter)
Professor Nickel’s research interests focus on ancient epic, particularly the poems of Homer, Hesiod, and the Hymnic corpus, and on oral poetic theory and narratology. Recent publications include articles on Homer’s Iliad and the Homeric Hymn to Demeter. Current research projects include stories of the past in Homer’s Odyssey, Heracles in the epic tradition, and Hera in Hesiod and the Homeric Hymns.
- 2010. “Athene, Penelope, and the Vengeance Plot against the Suitors.” Quaderni Urbinati di Cultura Classica 80: 173-198.
- 2010. “Recovering Paris: From the Erotic to the Heroic.” In Re-making, Re-writing, Rediscovery. Ed. L. Boldt, C. Federici, E. Virgulti. Peter Lang. 107-119.
- 2009. “Disguising Helen: the Polymorphous Wife in the Odyssey.” In Disguise, Deception, Trompe-l’Oeil. Ed. L. Boldt, C. Federici, E. Virgulti. Peter Lang. 3-19.
- 2009. Review of C.J. Mackie, Rivers of Fire: Mythic Themes in Homer’s Iliad. Classical Review 61.1. 14-16.
- 2009. Review of L. E. Doherty, Oxford Readings in Classical Literature: Homer’s Odyssey. Classical Review 61.1. 16-19.
- 2003. “The Wrath of Demeter: Story Pattern in the Homeric Hymn to Demeter.” Quaderni Urbinati di Cultura Classica 73: 59-82.
- 2002. “Euphorbus and the Death of Achilles.” Phoenix 56: 215-33.
Recent Papers Presented:
- 2010. “Polyphemus from Homer to Handel.” Elgin Theatre, Toronto (Nov. 6, 2010), in conjunction with Opera Atelier’s and Tafelmusik’s production of Handel’s Acis and Galatea.
- 2009. “Odysseus in Troy: A Negative Paradigm for Telemachus.” Classical Association of Canada. University of British Columbia.
- 2009. “Iphigenia among the Taurians: Euripides, Gluck, and Greek Tragedy.” Elgin Theatre, Toronto (Nov. 4 and 6, 2009), in conjunction with Opera Atelier’s and Tafelmusik’s production of Gluck’s Iphigénie en Tauride.
- 2009. “What Exactly Does Telemachus Learn?” Department of Classics Research Seminar Series, Brock University.
- 2008. “Mozart and Sacrifice Drama: Varesco’s Sources for the Libretto to Idomeneo.” Elgin Theatre, Toronto (April 26 and May 2 2008), in conjunction with Opera Atelier’s and Tafelmusik’s production of Mozart’s Idomeneo.
- 2008. “Recovering Paris: From the Erotic to the Heroic.” Image and Imagery V. Brock University.
- 2007. “A Faithful Wife at Home.” Peter Smith Memorial Colloquium. University of Victoria.