Department of Classics
Associate Professor, Greek Art and Archaeology
Undergraduate Program Officer
BA, MA, PhD (Princeton)
Department of Classics
St Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
Phone: 905 688 5550 ext. 5373
Fax: 905 984 4859
- CLAS 4V28/5P28: Archaeological Ethics (fall)
- CLAS 5V35: The Athenian Acropolis (fall)
A specialist in the archaeology, art, and cultural history of Archaic Greece, I conduct fieldwork centered on Mediterranean maritime archaeology, particularly in Turkey. I am particularly interested in shipwrecks as indices of maritime networks in the Archaic Mediterranean in tandem with my research on the shipwrecks at Pabuç Burnu and Kekova Adası, sixth- and seventh-century BCE merchant vessels that sank off the Turkish coast. Currently I am conducting excavation in collaboration with Middle East Technical University at the harbors at Burgaz, the site associated with the Knidians before their move to the tip of the Datça peninsula. I am also involved in excavation and heritage preservation initiatives for the sixth-century CE "Church Wreck" at Marzamemi, Sicily, a collaborative project between Stanford University and the Soprintendenze del Mare. My work considers the ancient economy, maritime archaeology, archaeological ethics and heritage management. Students with interests in these and related fields are encouraged to consider the Department of Classics at Brock.
- 2015. "A Late Antique Ceramic Assemblage at Burgaz, Datça Peninsula, Southwest Turkey, and the 'Normality of the Mixed Cargo' in the Ancient Mediterranean." International Journal of Nautical Archaeology 44.2: 300-311 (with J. Leidwanger and N. Tuna).
- 2015. "Transport Amphoras and Economic Information: A View from the Early Greek World." In Maritime Studies in the Wake of the Byzantine Shipwreck at Yassıada, edited by D. Carlson, J. Leidwanger, and S. Kampbell. College Station, TX: Texas A&M University Press, 3-16 (with M.L. Lawall).
- 2014. "A Manifesto for the Study of Ancient Mediterranean Maritime Networks" Antiquity+ 342 (with J. Leidwanger, C. Knappett, P. Arnaud, P. Arthur, E. Blake, C. Broodbank, T. Brughmans, T. Evans, S. Graham, B. Kowalzig, B. Mills, R. Rivers, T. Tartaron, and R. Van de Noort).
- 2014. "Implementing Underwater Cultural Heritage 'Best Practices' in the Mediterranean: the Noto Meeting and Statement." International Journal of Nautical Archaeology 43.2: 453-57 (Leidwanger, J., B. Daniels, R. Leventhal, and S. Tusa).
- 2014. "Burgaz (Palaia Knidos) 2012 yılı çalışmaları" Kazı Sonuçları Toplantısı 35.3: 60-75 (with N. Tuna, N. Atıcı, İ. Sakarya, and J. Leidwanger).
- 2014. "Charter for the Protection and Management of the Underwater Cultural Heritage (1996)" In Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology, edited by C. Smith. Springer. 1376-1379.
- 2013. "Excavating the Harbors of ‘Old Knidos’: Current Research at Burgaz, Turkey." INA Quarterly 40: 8-13 (with J. Leidwanger and N. Tuna).
- 2013. "Burgaz 2011 yılı çalışmaları," Kazı Sonuçları Toplantısı 34.3: 5-24 (with N. Tuna, N. Atıcı, İ. Sakarya, and J. Leidwanger).
- 2013. "Expanding Contacts and Collapsing Distances in Early Cypro-Archaic Trade: Three Case Studies of Shipwrecks off the Turkish Coast." In The Transport Amphorae and Trade of Cyprus, M.L. Lawall and J. Lund, eds. (Gösta Enbom Monographs Volume 3), 21-34. Aarhus (with J. Leidwanger and H. Özdaş). First Author.
Recent and Upcoming Papers and Lectures:
- "Wandering Ports in the Southeast Aegean: A View of Maritime Network Dynamics from Burgaz, Turkey," 2nd International Workshop on Maritime Flows and Networks, Paris, France, April 2016 (with J. Leidwanger).
- "The Sixth-Century BCE Shipwreck at Pabuç Burnu, Turkey," McCann-Taggart Lecture on Underwater Archaeology, Vancouver Society of the AIA, Vancouver, BC, March 2016.
- "Law, Ethics, and Underwater Archaeology: The Wreck of Cesnola's Napried." McCann-Taggart Lecture on Underwater Archaeology, Western Massachusetts Society of the AIA, Amherst, MA, March 2016.
- "Law, Ethics, and Underwater Archaeology: The Wreck of Cesnola's Napried." Friends of the Canadian Institute in Greece, Ottawa, ON, February 2016.
- "More Than One Size Fits All? Poorly Standardized Transport Amphoras in the Archaic and Early Classical Economy." Presented as part of the workshop "Volumetric Standardization in the Ancient Mediterranean", Stanford University, Stanford, CA, January 2016.
- "Between the City and the Sea: 2015 Fieldwork in the Harbors of Burgaz, Turkey." AIA Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, January 2016 (with J. Leidwanger, L. Radloff, and N. Tuna).
- "Shifting Centers of Maritime Activity in the Eastern Mediterranean: A View from Burgaz or ‘Old Knidos’." Institute for European and Mediterranean Archaeology, University at Buffalo SUNY, Buffalo, NY, October 2015.
- "The Burgaz Harbors Project: Shifting Centers of Maritime Activity in the Eastern Mediterranean." McCann-Taggart Lecture on Underwater Archaeology, Oklahoma City Society of the AIA, Norman, OK, October 2015.
- "What is Underwater Cultural Heritage and Why Does it Matter?" Presented in the organized workshop titled "Underwater Cultural Heritage: Prospects and Problems for Management, Protection, and Exploration," AIA Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, January 2015.
Recent and Upcoming Conferences and Workshops Organized:
- "Underwater Cultural Heritage: Prospects and Problems for Management, Protection, and Exploration" AIA Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, January 2015. Workshop co-organizer with J. Leidwanger (Stanford University).
- "A Matrix of Socioeconomic Connectivity: Ports, Harbors and Anchorages in the Mediterranean," European Archaeological Association, Istanbul, Turkey. September 2014. Session co-organizer with V. Şahoğlu (Ankara University) and J. Leidwanger (Stanford University).
- "EUPLOIA: Implementing Underwater Cultural Heritage Best Practices in a Mediterranean Context." Noto, Sicily. October 17-19, 2013. Organizer with Justin Leidwanger (Stanford University), Sebastiano Tusa (Soprintendenze del Mare, Sicily), Richard Leventhal (Penn Cultural Heritage Center), and Brian Daniels (Penn Cultural Heritage Center).
American Schools of Oriental Research (ASOR)
Archaeological Institute of America (AIA)
Honor Frost Foundation
Classical Association of Canada
Institute of Nautical Archaeology
Niagara Peninsula Society of the AIA
Penn Cultural Heritage Center
Archaic Shipwreck Survey Project
Burgaz Harbors Project
METU Burgaz Excavations
Marzamemi Maritime Heritage Project
Pabuç Burnu Shipwreck