Department of Classics
Associate Professor, Greek Social and Cultural History; Gender and Sexuality; Greek Oratory; Attic Vase Painting
BA (Alberta), MA (Queen’s), PhD (Buffalo)
Department of Classics
St Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
Phone: 905 688 5550 ext 3319
Fax: 905 984 4859
On sabbatical leave 2015-2016
I spent a year as a regular member at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens as a graduate student. Before coming to Brock University in 2003, I was a teaching and research fellow at Stanford University. My research relates to the social and cultural history of ancient Greece, and focuses on women, gender, sexuality and slavery. I use texts, vase iconography and archaeological data to explore these topics. To date, much of my research has been on the image of the Athenian prostitute concentrating on how male discourse constructs and manipulates the image of the prostitute in such contexts as the law courts and the symposium. In part, my work is a reaction to scholarship that idealizes the ancient hetaira (sexual companion, regularly translated as courtesan), and attempts to look at how prostitution affected the lives of women across ancient Athenian society. I am currently researching ancient Greek prostitutes, with a particular focus on prostitutes as slaves. This research is currently funded through a SSHRC Insight Grant.
Recent and Forthcoming Publications:
- Forthcoming 2016, "Prostitutes, Women, and Gender in Ancient Greece" in Women in Antiquity: Real Women across the Ancient World. Eds. Stephanie Lynn Budin and Jean Macintosh Turfa. Routledge Publishing.
- April 2016. "Is There an Archaeology of Prostitution?" in Houses of Ill-Repute: The Archaeology of Brothels, Houses and Taverns in the Greek World. Eds. Allison Glazebrook and Barbara Tsakirgis. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- April 2016. Houses of Ill-Repute: The Archaeology of Brothels, Houses and Taverns in the Greek World. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press. (Co-edited with Barbara Tsakirgis).
- 2015. "A Hierarchy of Violence? Sex Slaves, Parthenoi and Rape in Menander’s Epitrepontes" in Beyond Courtesans and Whores: Sex and Labor in the Graeco-Roman World. Ed. Allison Glazebrook. A special issue of Helios. 42.1: 81-101.
- 2015. "Beyond Courtesans and Whores: Sex and Labor in the Graeco-Roman World" in Beyond Courtesans and Whores: Sex and Labor in the Graeco-Roman World. Ed. Allison Glazebrook. A Special Issue of Helios 42.1: 1-5.
- 2015. "Sexuality" in Oxford Bibliographies in Classics. Ed. Dee Clayman. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2015. "'Sex Ed' at the Archaic Symposium: Prostitutes, Boys and Paideia" in Sex in Antiquity: New Essays on Gender and Sexuality in the Ancient World. Eds. Mark Masterson, Nancy Rabinowitz and James Robson. New York: Routledge Publishing. 157-78.
- 2014. "The Erotics of Manumission: Prostitutes and the πρᾶσις ἐπ’ ἐλευθερίᾳ" EuGeStA: Journal on Gender Studies in Antiquity 4: 53-80.
- 2014. "Marriage and Adultery" in A Companion to Greek and Roman Sexualities. Ed. Thomas K. Hubbard. Malden MA: Wiley Blackwell. 69-82 (with Kelly Olson).
- 2014. "Sexual Rhetoric: From Athens to Rome" in A Companion to Greek and Roman Sexualities. Ed. Thomas K. Hubbard. Malden MA: Wiley Blackwell. 431-45.
- 2013. "Bodies and Sexuality" in In Antiquity, A Cultural History of Women. Vol. 1. Ed. Janet H. Tulloch. New York: Bloomsbury. 33-55 (with Nicola Mellor).
- 2012. "Prostitutes, Plonk and Play: Female Banqueters on a Red-Figure Psykter from the Hermitage," Classical World 105.4: 497-524.
- 2011. "Prostitution" in A Cultural History of Sexuality, Vol. I: In the Classical World (800 BCE-350 CE), Eds. Mark Golden and Peter Toohey. Oxford: Berg Publishing. 145-68.
- 2011. Greek Prostitutes in the Ancient Mediterranean, 800 BCE to 200 CE. Madison WI: University of Wisconsin Press. (co-edited with M. M. Henry).
- 2011."Porneion: Prostitution in Athenian Civic Space" in Greek Prostitutes in the Ancient Mediterranean, 800 BCE to 200 CE, Eds. A. Glazebrook and M. M. Henry. University of Wisconsin Press. 34-59.
Recent and upcoming papers:
- 2016. "A Spectacle of Citizenship: Aeschines 1 Against Timarchos" at Visions: Feminism and Classics VII in Seattle.
- 2015. "Constructing the Prostitute Body: Timarchos and Neaira in Greek Oratory" at the CAC in Toronto.
- 2015. "Why Start a Graduate Program?" at Approaching Careers with Graduate Degrees in Classics, Panel organized by Lisa Hughes and Myles McCallum at CAC in Toronto.
- 2015. "Bad Boy, Bad Citizen: Timarchos and Prostitution in Aeschines 1” at the CACW in Winnipeg.
- 2014. "Violence and Sexual Labour in Classical Athens" at the Celtic Classics Conference. Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 2014. "Prostitution and Sexual Violence in Classical Athens" at the CAC meeting in Montreal.
- 2014. "Athens' Bad Boy: Timarchos in Aeschines 1, Against Timarchos." HRI Symposium in Honour of John Sainsbury.
- 2014. "Sex Ed at the Greek Symposium: Prostitutes, Boys and Paideia." Keynote address at the Annual Undergraduate Conference at the University of Windsor.
- 2014. "Sexual Violence and New Comedy: The Case of Menander’s Epitrepontes." Research Seminar on Women in Antiquity at the University of Waterloo.
- 2013. "Sympotic Paideia: Sexual Ethics and the Greek Symposium" Niagara Peninsula Society of the AIA 45th Anniversary Celebration. St. Catharines, ON.
- 2013. Sexual Labor in the Ancient World. WCC Panel. Annual Meeting of the APA, Seattle (2013).
- Review Editor, Phoenix. A Classical Journal of the Classical Association of Canada (2011-present).
- Co-Chair of the Steering Committee of the Women’s Classical Caucus 2011-2012.
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Women’s Classical Caucus 2009-2012.
- President of the Women’s Network of the Classical Association of Canada 2009-2011.
Women’s Classical Caucus
Ontario Classical Association
Classical Association of Canada, Women’s Network
Classical Association of Canada
Diotima: Women and Gender in the Ancient World