Department of Classics
Professor, Roman History and Latin
BA, MA (Queen's), PhD (McMaster)
Department of Classics
St Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
Phone: 905 688 5550 ext 3796
Fax: 905 984 4859
Teaching Fall 2015:
- CLAS/HIST 3P03: History of Early Greece
- CLAS/MARS 4P55: History of the Later Roman Empire
2013 recipient of the Faculty of Humanities Award for Excellence in Teaching
My primary research interest relates to the social and cultural significance of gladiatorial contests and similar (Roman) spectacles in the Greek, eastern provinces of the Roman Empire. I am concerned especially with the impact the adoption and adaptation of such thoroughly Roman spectalces in the Greek world had on Greek society and identity. I am also interested in Roman history more broadly, Romanization, Topography of Rome, Greek and Latin epigraphy, and historiography.
2014 recipient of the Humanities Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Activity
- 2015. "Bloodbath: Artemidorus, Apotomos Combat and Ps.-Quintilian's The Gladiator." Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 193: 39-52.
- 2015. "Spectacle in Rome, Italy, and the Provinces" (with J. Edmondson). In J. Edmondson and C. Bruun (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Roman Epigraphy (Oxford) 535-556.
- 2014. "Landscaping the Roman Arena." Studies in the History of Gardens & Designed Landscapes 35 (2015). (Published online 17 July 2014: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14601176.2014.940176)
- 2014. "Romanization through Spectacle in the Greek East." In D.G. Kyle and P. Christesen (eds.) Companion on Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Wiley-Blackwell) 619-632.
- 2013. "Entertainment in the Roman World." In M. Gibbs, M. Nikolic, and P. Ripat (edd.) Themes in Roman Society (Oxford) 265-286.
- 2013. "Persuade the People: Violence and Roman Spectacles in the Greek East." In S.Ralph (ed.) The Archaeology of Violence (Institute for European and Mediterranean Archaeology, Buffalo) 158-168.
- 2011. "Blown Call? Diodorus and the Treacherous Summa Rudis." Zeitschrift für Papyrologie und Epigraphik 177: 63-69.
- 2010. "Gladiators and Monomachoi: Greek Attitudes to a Roman Cultural Performance." In Z. Papakonstantinou (ed.) Sport in the Cultures of the Ancient World (Routledge) 150-174.
- 2009. "Accepi Ramum: Gladiatorial Palms and the Chavagnes Gladiator Cup." Latomus: Revue d'études latines 69: 139-143.