Associate Professor (Hons BA Toronto; MPhil Louvain; Ph.D. Essex)
Department of Philosophy
St. Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
- Office: Room 275 at 573 A Glenridge Ave.
- Office hours: Thursday: 2 - 4 pm or by appointment
- Telephone: (905) 688-5550 ext. 5311/3315 Fax: (905) 688-0625
- E-mail: email@example.com
AREA OF SPECIALIZATION:
Phenomenology (esp. Husserl, Heidegger, Merleau-Ponty, Ricoeur and Marion), Hermeneutics, Philosophy of Aesthetics
AREA OF COMPETENCE:
Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy of Literature, Advaita Vedanta
Rajiv Kaushik studied philosophy at the University of Toronto (1996-2000) and at the Husserl Archives in Louvain, Belgium (2002-3). He completed his doctoral studies at the University of Essex (2003-6), where he was the first student in the department’s history to complete early. He was hired to the Brock Philosophy Department in July of 2006. Currently, his projects include: phenomenological temporality, the imagination in Husserl and Merleau-Ponty, and the writings of Marcel Proust.
- Kaushik, Rajiv, Art, Language, and Figure in Merleau-Ponty: Excursions in Hyper-Dialectic. London: Continuum Books. Forthcoming.
- Kaushik, Rajiv. Art and Institution: Aesthetics in the Late Works of Merleau-Ponty. London: Continuum Books. 2011. xxii 208.
b. Articles in refereed journals
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “The Obscene and the Corpse in the Works of Jean-Michel Basquiat”. Janus Head: Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature, Continental Philosophy, Phenomenological Psychology, and the Arts, Special Issue 2010. Vol. 12, pp.109-124.
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “Physis and Flesh”. Analecta Husserliana, Vol. 104 2009. pp 77-91.
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “Affectivity and Religious Experience: Husserl’s God in the Unpublished Manuscripts”. The New Yearbook of Phenomenology and Phenomenological Research Vol. 8 2008 pp. 55-71 (published in 2009).
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “Architectonic and Myth Time: Merleau-Ponty’s Proust in The Visible and the Invisible”. Studia Phaenomenologica Vol. 8 2008. pp. 121-139.
- Kaushik, Rajiv. “Phenomenological Temporality and Proustian Nostalgia”. Analecta Husserliana Vol. 96 2007. pp. 225-241.
c. Chapters in Books
- Kaushik, Rajiv. "Cy Twombly: gesture, space, and writing" in Moving Imagination, Explorations of gesture and inner movement in the arts, edited by Helena De Preester. Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company 2013. pp. 235-246.