Published on Brock University (http://brocku.ca)
Ph.D. University of Toronto (2004)
M.A. University of Western Ontario (1994)
B.A. (Honours), University of Western Ontario (1991)
• Cultural identity in early modern Spain and colonial Latin America; mestizos and racialization discourses in early colonial Peru.
• Early modern book history in Spain and Spanish America; relationship of state bureaucracy and cultural production; literary censorship
Selected representative publications
Articles and Book Chapters
“Literary History, Censorship, and Lazarillo de Tormes castigado (1573),” 32 pp. Hispanic Research Journal (forthcoming in 2016).
“Identidad mestiza y la formulación de un sujeto colonial de superior devoción en el Perú del siglo XVI.” Amicitia fecunda. Homenaje a Claudia Parodi. Eds. Jimena Rodríguez y Manuel Pérez. Madrid: Iberoamericana Editorial Vervuert, 2015. 153-184.
“Andean Activism and the Reformulation of Mestizo Agency and Identity in Early Colonial Peru.” Colonial Latin American Review 21.2 (2012): 209-237.
“Market, Audience and the Fortunes and Adversities of Lazarillo de Tormes, castigado (1573).” Hispanic Review 79.2 (2011): 189-211.
Pícaro and Cortesano: Identity and the Forms of Capital in Early Modern Spanish Picaresque Narrative and Courtesy Literature. Lewisburg, PA.: Bucknell University Press, 2011. 167 pp.
Selected conference papers
"Mestizo Petitions, Narratives of Justice and the Notarial Record in Sixteenth-Century Colonial Peru." Paper presented at the Latin American Studies Association Annual Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, May 27-30, 2015.
“Chastising Picaresque Satire and Lazarillo de Tormes castigado (1573).” Paper presented at the Renaissance Society of America Annual Meeting, Berlin, Germany, March 26-28, 2015.
“The Mediating Functionary: Bureaucracy, Knowledge, Culture and the Book in the Court of Philip II.” Paper presented at the Sixteenth Century Society Annual Conference, New Orleans, USA, October 16-19, 2014.
Selected courses taught at Brock University
• SPAN 1F00 Introductory Spanish
• MARS 1F90 Medieval and Renaissance Civilizations
• SCLC 1F90 Cultures of Western Europe
• SPAN 1P95 Conquest and Colonization
• SPAN 2P10 Latin American Cultures Since Independence
• SPAN 2P20 Analysis and Approaches to Literary Texts
• SPAN 3P97 Modern Spanish Literature and Culture
• SPAN 3P98 Contemporary Chronicle & Testimonial Writing
• SPAN 3Q90 Early Modern Spanish Literature and Culture
• SPAN 4P15 Imagining Identity in the Early Modern Hispanic World