Table of Contents
Featured Research Publications
Invited Research Presentations
Luncheon Speaker Series
The following five projects were accepted for funding by the CPA Ontario Research Excellence Centre (CPAO REC):
- Dr. Narongsak (Tek) Thongpapanl (department of MIBS) and Dr. Panom Gunawong (Chiang Mai-University) “Examining the Resistance, Reluctance, and Readiness of Thai Electronic Local Administrative Accounting System” − $6,000.
- Dr. Samir Trabelsi (department of Accounting) and Ms. Amna Chalwati (Hong Kong Polytechnic University) “Does Media Mitigate Overvaluation of Green IPOs?” − $10,260.
- Dr. Yun Ke (department of Accounting) “Accounting conservatism and debt contract renegotiation” − $4,480.
- Mr. Glenn Skrubbeltrang and Dr. Barbara Sainty (both from the department of Accounting) “Brock University Accounting Conference case development” − $5,000.
- Dr. Mohamed Ayadi (department of FOIS) “Performance Measurement of Canadian Global Equity Mutual Funds” − $12,200.
Two professors (both from the department of MIBS) won 2015 SSHRC Insight Development Grants:
- Dr. Wesley Helms “How do social enterprises respond to competitive pressures while maintaining the integrity of their social purpose?" The award amount for this two-year research project is $64,167.
- Dr. Trish Ruebottom "Understanding the Contested Field of Sex Work." The award amount for this two-year research project is $67,332.
Five SSHRC Insight Grant applications submitted by Goodman faculty in October 2014 received “4A” status (recommended but not funded):
- Dr. Kareen Brown (department of Accounting) “Target Ownership Plans and Firm Operating Decisions.”
- Dr. Hemantha Herath (department of Accounting) “A Study of Joint Cost Allocation Using Copulas with Applications in Forest and Energy Sectors.”
- Dr. Tejaswini Herath (department of FOIS) “User Security Behaviours in Pervasive Computing Applications.”
- Dr. Samir Trabelsi (department of Accounting) “What Matters in Corporate Governance Practices Disclosure?”
- Dr. Lianxi Zhou (department of MIBS) “Born Globals: An Investigation of Post-Entry Internationalization Efforts, Psychic Distance, and Firm Capabilities for International Growth of Export SMEs”
Dr. Tek Thongpapanl (department of MIBS) was awarded a research grant from OMAFRA for his proposal titled “Developing high quality sparkling wines with regional identity in Ontario.”
Dr. Samir Trabelsi (department of Accounting) was awarded a research grant from the CMA Brock Accounting Research & Education Centre (CMA BAREC) for his proposal titled “Governance and Financial Statement Transparency: Evidence from Not for Profit Organizations.”
BSIG Research seed grants:
- Dr. Dirk De Clercq (department of OBHREE) "Towards a Better Understanding of Employee Entrepreneurial Behaviour."
- Dr. Eric Dolansky (department of MIBS) "The Effects of Physical Size on the Price of Experiential Goods: Do Bigger Tickets Translate into Greater Value."
- Dr. Zhongzhi He (department of FOIS) "Corporate Governance and Corporate Innovation: A Hedge Fund Activism Perspective."
- Drs. Staci Kenno, Michelle Lau, and Barbara Sainty (department of Accounting) "University Budgeting: A Vehicle for Strategic Planning."
- Dr. Deborah McPhee (department of OBHREE) and Dr. Francine Schlosser (University of Windsor) "Dying to Work: Studying the Relationships between Psychological Safety Climate Facets and Safety Behaviour for Young Workers Employed in Small Business."
Manuscript preparation grant: Dr. Tek Thongpapanl (department of MIBS) "The Influence of Online Customers' Regulatory Fit on Their Attitude and Purchase Intention."
Featured Research Publications
Dr. Tatyana Sokolyk (department of FOIS) published the article “Entrepreneurs May Be a Lot More Creditworthy Than They Think” in The Wall Street Journal about her work with Rebel Cole (DePaul University) on bank lending to small businesses.
Dr. Diane Miller's (Dean's Office) coauthored paper "Gender, Perceived Competence, and Power Displays: Examining Verbal Interruptions in a Group Context" has been summarized and featured on the Women and Public Policy Program's Gender Action Portal (GAP).
Financial Times 45
- Mr. Jin Lei (department of FOIS) had his co-authored paper accepted for publication by the Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis:
Mine Ertugrul, Jin Lei, Jiaping Qiu, Chi Wan, “Annual Report Readability, Tone Ambiguity, and the Cost of Borrowing.” Forthcoming in Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis.
- Dr. Dirk De Clercq (department of OBHREE) had his coauthored paper accepted for publication by Human Resource Management:
De Clercq, D., Rahman, M.Z., and Belausteguigoitia, I. “Task conflict and employee creativity: The critical roles of learning orientation and goal congruence.” Forthcoming. Human Resource Management.
- Dr. Maxim Voronov (department of MIBS) had his co-authored paper accepted for publication by Academy of Management Review:
Voronov, M. and Weber, K. "The Heart of Institutions: Emotional Competence and Institutional Actorhood," Academy of Management Review, Forthcoming.
- Dr. Todd Green (department of MIBS) had his coauthored paper "Do They Know It's CSR at All? An Exploration of Socially Responsible Music Consumption?" accepted for publication by the Journal of Business Ethics.
- Dr. Mohamed Ayadi (department of FOIS) has his coauthored paper forthcoming in the European Journal of Operational Research:
Mohamed Ayadi, Hatem Ben-Ameur, and Tarek Fakhfakh. “A Dynamic Program for Valuing Corporate Securities," European Journal of Operational Research, forthcoming
- Drs. Walid Ben Omrane and Robert Welch (department of FOIS) have their paper “Tick test accuracy in foreign exchange ECN markets” forthcoming in Research in International Business and Finance.
- Dr. Walid Ben Omrane had another coauthored paper published in Empirical Economics:
Ben Omrane, W. and C. Hafner. “Macroeconomic news surprises and volatility spillover in foreign exchange markets,” Empirical Economics, 2015, 48 (2), 577-607.
- Dr. Anteneh Ayanso (department of FOIS) has his coauthored paper forthcoming in Government Information Quarterly (5-Year Impact Factor is 2.453)
Anteneh Ayanso and Kaveepan Lertwachara "An Analytics Approach to Exploring the Link between ICT Development and Affordability" Government Information Quarterly, forthcoming.
- Dr. Zhongzhi He (department of FOIS) has his coauthored paper "Multi-factor Volatility and Stock Returns" forthcoming in the Journal of Banking and Finance (5-Year Impact Factor is 1.922).
- Trish Ruebottom (department of MIBS) has her coauthored paper forthcoming in Human Relations (5-Year Impact Factor is 3.187)
Suhaib Riaz, Sean Buchanan, and Trish Ruebottom. "Rhetoric of Epistemic Authority: Defending Field Positions during the Financial Crisis," Human Relations, forthcoming.
- Dr. Tek Thongpapanl (department of MIBS) has his coauthored paper forthcoming in the Journal of Interactive Marketing (5-Year Impact Factor is 3.385)
Ashraf, A. and Thongpapanl, N. "Connecting with and Converting Shoppers into Customers: Investigating the Role of Regulatory Fit in the Online Customer's Decision-making Process," Journal of Interactive Marketing, forthcoming.
- Dr. Anteneh Ayanso (department of FOIS) has his coauthored paper published in the Journal of Computer Information Systems:
Ayanso, A. and Lertwachara, K. “Analyzing Customer Service Technologies for Online Retailing: A Customer Service Life Cycle Approach.” Journal of Computer Information Systems, 55(4), Summer, 2015.
- Dr. Kai-Yu Wang (department of MIBS) has his coauthored paper forthcoming in the Journal of Advertising:
Lin, Y. and Wang, K.* “Language Choice in Advertising for Multinational Corporations and Local Firms: A Re-Inquiry Focusing on Monolinguals.” Journal of Advertising, forthcoming.
(Note: The Journal of Advertising 5-Year Impact Factor is 2.09.)
- Dr. Michael Armstrong (department of FOIS) has his coauthored paper forthcoming in International Journal of Production Research:
Cao Y., Nsakanda A., Armstrong M.J., Diaby M. 2015. “Rewards-supply planning under option contracts in managing coalition loyalty programmes”. Forthcoming in International Journal of Production Research. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2015.1059519.
- Dr. Kai-Yu Wang (department of MIBS) had his coauthored paper accepted for publication by Computers in Human Behavior (5-Year Impact Factor is 3.047):
Hsu, L., Wang, K., Chih, W. and Lin, K. Investigating the Ripple Effect in Virtual Communities: An Example of Facebook Fan Pages, Computers in Human Behavior, Forthcoming.
- Dr. Michael Armstrong (department of FOIS) has his coauthored paper forthcoming in Social Science Quarterly:
Armstrong M.J. and Sodergren S.E. 2015. “Refighting Pickett’s Charge: mathematical modeling of the Civil War battlefield”. Forthcoming in Social Science Quarterly, DOI: 10.1111/ssqu.12178: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ssqu.12178/abstract
- Drs. Anteneh Ayanso and Tejaswini Herath (department of FOIS) and Nicole O'Brien (MSc student) had their paper "Understanding Continuance Intentions of Physicians with Electronic Medical Records (EMR): An Expectancy-Confirmation Perspective" accepted by Decision Support Systems.
- Dr. Mohamed Ayadi (department of FOIS) has two coauthored forthcoming publications:
Ayadi, M.A., H. Ben-Ameur, and L. Kryzanowski, 2015, “Typical and Tail Performance of Canadian Equity SRI Mutual Funds,” Journal of Financial Services Research, Forthcoming.
Ayadi, M.A., Z. Ben Ghazi, and H. Chabchoub, 2015, “Canadian Socially Responsible Investment Mutual Funds Performance Evaluation using Data Envelopment Analysis,” Forthcoming in Multiple Criteria Decision Making in Finance, Insurance and Investment, edited by Al-Shammari and Masri, Springer, New York.
- Dr. Todd Green (department of MIBS) has his coauthored paper forthcoming in the Journal of Consumer Behaviour:
Sinclair, G. and Green, T., “Download or Stream? Steal or Buy? Developing a Typology of Today's Music Consumer,” Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Forthcoming.
- Drs. Hemantha Herath and Raafat Roubi (department of Accounting) had their coauthored paper published in ABACUS (one of the top 10 accounting journals):
Hemantha S. B. Herath, A. William Richardson, Raafat R. Roubi, and Mark Tippett, (2015). “Non-linear Equity Valuation: An Empirical Analysis,” ABACUS, 51 (1), 86–115.
- Dr. Michael Armstrong (department of FOIS) had his coauthored paper published online and to appear in print in the next issue of Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History:
David Connors, Michael J Armstrong, and John Bonnett. 2015. "A counterfactual study of the Charge of the Light Brigade". Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History 48 (2), 80-89.
- Drs. Kareen Brown and Parunchana Pacharn (department of Accounting) had their coauthored paper accepted for publication by the Journal of Banking and Finance:
Brown, K., R. Jha, and P. Pacharn "Ex Ante CEO Severance Pay and Risk-Taking in the Financial Services Sector." Journal of Banking and Finance.
- Dr. Dirk De Clercq (department of OBHREE) had a coauthored paper accepted for publication by the Journal of Family Business Strategy:
De Clerq, D. and Belausteguigoitia, I "Intergenerational Strategy Involvement and Family Firms' Innovation Pursuits: The Critical Roles of Conflict Management and Social Capital." Journal of Family Business Strategy.
- Dr. Usman Raja (department of OBHREE) had two coauthored papers accepted for publication:
Donia, M., Johns, G., Raja, U. "Good Soldier or Good Actor? Supervisor Accuracy in Distinguishing between Selfless and Self-Serving OCB Motives." Journal of Business and Psychology.
Abbas, M., and Raja, U. "Impact of Psychological Capital on Innovative Performance and job stress." Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences.
Invited Research Presentations
- Dr. Michael Armstrong (department of FOIS) presented his research on rocket attacks and defenses in Israel at the Military History Colloquium at Wilfrid Laurier University on May 8, 2015.
- Dr. Tek Thongpapanl (department of MIBS) served as a panelist at the Special Research Seminar “Opportunities and Challenges at the Marketing-Entrepreneurship Interface” at the Academy of Marketing Science conference in Denver, Colorado, on May 14, 2015.
- Dr. Michael Armstrong (department of FOIS) presented his research on naval missile combat and Middle-East rocket attacks at the US Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California.
- Dr. Walid Ben Omrane (department of FOIS) presented his paper "Exchange Rate Volatility Response to Macroeconomic News: Evidence from the Great Recession" at the Accounting & Finance Seminar hosted by the Telfer School of Management of the University of Ottawa on April 22, 2015.
- Dr. Teju Herath (department of FOIS) was featured in the Office of Research Services March podcast "Deliberate deception: The heads-up on fraud." Dr. Teju Herath also delivered an invited presentation titled "Internet Fraud" at the Cyber-Crime Speaker Series hosted by Memorial University on April 23, 2015.
- Dr. Yun Ke (department of Accounting) presented his coauthored paper "Do Short Sellers Discipline Financial Analysts? Evidence from a Quasi-natural Experiment" at the Accounting Research Workshop hosted by the Sauder School of Business of the University of British Columbia on April 22, 2015.
- Dr. Usman Raja (department of OBHREE) delivered a keynote speech and led a workshop on academic research at the 2nd International Conference on Global Trends in Academic Research, which was held in Bandung, Indonesia, on April 20-21, 2015.
- Dr. Mohamed Ayadi (department of FOIS) delivered an invited presentation "Advances in Portfolio Management Research" at the University of Sfax, Tunisia, in April 2015.
- Dr. Mohamed Ayadi (department of FOIS) received the Best Paper Award for his paper "The Performance of Canadian Hybrid Funds" presented at the 5th European Business Research Conference in Rome, Sept. 10-11, 2015.
- Dr. Eugene Kaciak (department of FOIS) received the Best Presenter Award in his track for a presentation at the International Academic Conference in Paris (IACP), August 10-11th, 2015.
- Dr. Wesley Helms (department of MIBS) was recognized by the Academy of Management OMT Division with the Above and Beyond the Call of Duty (ABCD) Reviewing Award. This award acknowledges those individuals who were deemed worthy of special recognition for the helpfulness, civility, extensiveness and insight of their reviews.
- Dr. Maxim Voronov (department of MIBS) was the recipient of the Emerald Citations of Excellence for 2015 award, which recognizes highly cited papers related to the areas of Business Management, Finance, Accounting, Economics and Marketing. Maxim won this award for his coauthored paper “Integrating emotions into the analysis of institutional work” published in Academy of Management Review.
- Dr. Tek Thongpapanl (department of MIBS) won two research awards:
- The University of Canterbury's Erskine Fellowship, which will allow Dr. Thongpapanl to spend the next summer visiting the University of Canterbury and delivering teaching and research seminars in the areas of technological innovation, entrepreneurship and strategic management.
- The Journal of International Marketing 2015 Outstanding Reviewer Award, which will be presented at the 2015 American Marketing Association Summer Educators' Conference in Chicago in August 2015.
- MSc student Ran Li and Drs. Dirk De Clercq, Dave Bouckenooghe, and Barry Wright, all from the department of OBHREE, won the Best Paper Award for the Organizational Behaviour Division of ASAC for their coauthored paper "Using Psychological Climate as a Conceptual Framework to Explain Voice Behaviour." This award will be presented at the upcoming ASAC 2015 conference, which will be held on June 13 to 16, 2015, in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Dr. Eugene Kaciak (department of FOIS) won the Distinguished Empirical Paper Award for his coauthored paper "The Impact of Family and Personal Dynamics on Chinese Women Entrepreneurs' Firm Performance: An Empirical Analysis" at the Small Business Institute (SBI) National Conference in February 12-14 2015, St. Pete Beach, Florida.
- Dr. Dave Bouckenooghe (department of OBHREE) won the Best Paper Award for his paper "Exploring the Relationship between Follower-Leader Capital and Employees' Self-Reported Creativity: The Mediating Role of Work Engagement" at the International Conference on Innovation and Management, which was held in Singapore, on February 3-6, 2015.
- Dr. Michael Armstrong (department of FOIS) won the Goodman School of Business Best Poster Award for his poster "Short-Range Missile Defense and Israel's Iron Dome" at the Third Annual Brock Research Celebration on Feb. 10, 2015. This winning poster is available for viewing in the 3rd floor hall of Taro.
- Dr. Anteneh Ayanso (department of FOIS) has been appointed as an Associate Editor of the Decision Support Systems journal. The Decision Support Systems journal is ranked by AIS and has a 5-year Impact Factor of 2.933.
- Dr. Maxim Voronov (department of MIBS) has joined the Editorial Review Board of the Academy of Management Review, which is a member of the FT 45 Journal list and has a 5-Year Impact Factor of 10.736.
- Dr. Lianxi Zhou (department of MIBS) has been appointed as an Editor for the Special issue of Journal of International Business Studies: The Creation and Capture of Entrepreneurial Opportunities across National Borders. A Call for Papers for the special issue can be found online.
- Dr. Deborah McPhee (department of OBHREE) has published a coauthored book chapter:
McPhee, D. and Schlosser, F. (2015). Retaining aging workers in the workplace – stakeholder initiatives. In R. J. Burke, C. L. Cooper, A-S. G Antoniou (Eds.), The Multi-generational and aging workforce: Challenges and Opportunities. Edward Elgar Publishing, Northampton, MA, USA, pp. 280-307.
Similar to previous years, the third annual Brock Research Celebration, which was held in the Guernsey Market on Tuesday, Feb. 10, was a big success. Almost 70 posters from all Faculties and several research institutes highlighted the breadth and diversity of research excellence at Brock. The Goodman School of Business had a strong presence at this event with 10 posters from all four departments and BioLinc.
- Department of Accounting:
- Drs. Jan Alpenberg and Paul Scarbrough "Collective Efficacy in Collective Production."
- Dr. Anamitra Shome and Huzaifa Faizan (MAcc student) "Is the Bubble Bursting on Online Education? Ambivalence and Interaction in E-Learning: A Canadian Study."
- Department of FOIS:
- Yameenul Abedin (MSc student) and Dr. Unyong Pyo "Are you Getting What You are Paying for?"
- Dr. Michael J. Armstrong "Short-Range Missile Defense and Israel's Iron Dome."
- Drs. Nicole Choi, Mark Fedenia, Hilla Skiba, and Tatyana Sokolyk "Portfolio Concentration and Performance of Institutional Investors Worldwide."
- Derek Visser (MSc student) and Dr. Anteneh Ayanso "Keyword Segmentation and Budget Allocation in Sponsored Search Advertising."
- Department of MIBS:
- Drs. Todd Green, Gary Sinclair, and Julie Tinson "Do They Know It's CSR at All? An Exploration of Socially Responsible Music Consumption."
- Sabrina Spence (MSc student) and Dr. Kai-Yu Wang "Anticipated Guilt and Ethical Consumption: The Moderating Role of Consumers' Socially Responsible Consumption Behaviour."
- Department of OBHREE:
- Ran Li (MSc student) and Dr. Dirk De Clercq "Explaining Voice Behaviour: The Roles of Personal Resources, Interdependence, and Supervisor Leadership Style."
- Dan Lynch and Cassie Price "What's Your Bio? Connect, Collaborate, Commercialize."
Luncheon Speaker Series
- Dr. Paul Dunn (department of OBHREE) "The Influence of Guilt Cognitions on Taxpayers' Amnesty Disclosures" on March 6, 2015.
- Dr. Kevin Mongeon (Faculty of Applied Health Sciences) "Bayesian Updating, Representativeness, and Market Efficiency Tests" on March 13, 2015
- Dr. Marshall Jiang (department of MIBS) "FDI Spillovers and Barriers to Imitation: How Do Changes in Internal R&D by Local Firms Respond to Technology Gaps" on March 20, 2015
- Dr. Michael Ahearne (University of Houston) "Managing the Sales Force during a Period of Organizational Change: Two Longitudinal Studies" on March 27, 2015
- Dr. Linda L. Price, University of Arizona, "The Mindset of "Making a Fresh Start" and Its Relevance to Consumers' Lives" on Jan. 16, 2015.
- Dr. Danuta de Grosbois, Faculty of Social Sciences, Brock University, "Understanding the Corporate Social Responsibility Reporting Behaviour: Case Study of the Cruise Industry" on Jan. 23, 2015.
- Dr. Zhefeng Frank Liu (department of Accounting), "Perception vs. Reality: a Comparative Study of the Financial Reporting Quality at the Chinese and U.S. firms" on Jan. 30, 2015.
Goodman School of Business