The James A. Gibson Library welcomes class visits arranged with area high school teachers and librarians to enhance students' skills and help familiarize local students with library research expectations encountered at university.
In an effort to combine our role of serving Brock University students and faculty with the University's mission of community outreach, we welcome requests that are in keeping with the following guidelines.
Individual Student Visits
- The James A. Gibson Library and University Map Library are open to the public. Area high school students are free to individually visit and use the print collections during all open hours.
- Access to our online resources using our workstations is available via a 24-hour temporary user account (photo ID required).
- Research assistance is available in all library locations to help students with their research and to help them determine the best resources.
Senior high school classes working on assignments that require the resources at Brock are also welcome to visit for an instructional session where a library staff member will provide an overview of resources.
- The teacher and/or librarian should submit a copy of the assignment prior to the visit.
- Individual classes can be accommodated during the Fall and Winter reading weeks, and after most University exams have finished in December and April. Small groups may be accommodated at other times of the year on an exceptional basis.
- Group size is limited to a maximum of 30 students to allow hands-on instruction.
- Students are expected to have acquired basic library research skills.
- Students should exhaust their school library databases and public library resources prior to coming to Brock.
- Groups must be accompanied by at least one teacher or librarian to supervise the group during the visit.
- Advance notice of two weeks would be appreciated. This will allow the batch creation of 24-hour temporary user accounts for classes.
- Please contact the Learning Commons Manager, Donna Grant (email@example.com), to arrange your class visit.
Important Library & Campus Information for High School Visitors
- Visitor parking is available in Lot D.
- Selected online resources including the Brock Library Catalogue and several Open Access Databases are available for use prior to your visit.
- Many of our databases allow you to e-mail results to yourself. Ask us how!
- Please bring a USB flash drive with you to save your work.
- Borrowing privileges are available for $40.00 per year per person (photo ID required).
- Print/copy cards may be purchased from the Library's Circulation Services Desk for $2.00 (10 copies) or $5.00 (40 copies).
- Students are expected to abide by the Library's policies.
- Check out our Research Guides by Program. These guides contain listings of recommended resources for finding information most relevant to your area of study, such as databases, journals, books, web pages and other useful resources, including online videos.
- Grab a snack before heading home from the Guernsey Marketplace or grab a coffee at the Common Grounds Cafe to fuel your research.
- Questions? Need additional information? Ask us...we're here to help!