Published on Brock University (http://brocku.ca)
The following are descriptions for Vallee Halls:
Egerton Hall Huskies
Named for Flora Egerton, the founder of the Women's Institute of Niagara. Egerton was responsible for petitioning for a University in the Niagara area in 1957. Due to her persistance and appreciation for higher learning Brock University was formed from the Women's Institute initiative.
Bradley Hall Armadillos
Named for Olive Bradley. Bradley became the first institutional Health Nurse in Canada in 1908 and worked at the Plymouth Cordage Company in Welland for 32 years. She was a pioneer in the field of nursing and laid the foundation for public health nursing in Niagara.
Dufferin Hall G'Nomes
Named for Lord Dufferin who in 1870 encouraged public parks in Canada. A widely travelled and highly respected statesman, he urged the Ontario government to become involved in public parks in the Niagara Falls area, leading to the development of the Niagara Parks Commission. It has been suggested that it is due to Dufferin's endorsement of the benefits of tourism that has lead to Niagara being the current tourist attraction that it is today.
Renaud Hall Tiggers
Named for the humanitarian Madeline Renaud. She took in the homeless and encouraged them to contact their relatives. She initiated the Girl Guides Movement in the Niagara Region. Renaud began the collection of toys for impoverished children and volunteered for the Welland County Children's Aid Society as well as served as President of local Wartime Prices and Control Board during WW2.
Mack Hall Mallards
Named for Theodore Mack, the founder of the first Training School for Nurses in North America. He insisted that the Florence Nightengale method must be followed and is still used world-wide today. The Mack School of Nursing was considered one of the finest nursing schools of its day and is currently run by Niagara College.
Yeo Hall Crusaders
Named for "the Lord of the Lake" Captain Yeo. He won many sea battles through the Royal Navy and greatly contributed to the successful end of the War of 1812.