Each year SEA program leader assistants play an important role in helping to organize and facilitate the Solidarity Experiences Abroad programs. Each trip usually has 2-3 SEA program leader assistants who are selected from a group of student applicants. If you are interested in applying for this position please make sure that you are familiar with the program by reading the information located on the main page and the criteria and responsibilities for SEA program leader assistants located below. After that, please print out the application form located below, and return the completed application to the Assistant Program Coordinators in Campus Ministries no later than October 2013. A panel will be assembled to choose successful applicants. For more information please contact SEA@brocku.ca.
Criteria for SEA Program Leader Assistants
- Good leadership skills
- Open minded, especially to other cultures
- Ability to think quickly on their feet
- Ability to deal with stressful situations
- A people person who is able to build trust
- Good communication skills
- Some ability to speak the local language
- Ability to prioritize
- Previous participation on a SEA program
SEA Program Leader Assistant Responsibilities Include...
Before the trip:
- Ensuring that all participants have completed all required forms
- Encouraging the collection and distribution of donations
- Aiding in fundraising activities
- Attending pre-departure orientation meetings
- Organizing pre-departure gatherings
- Helping answer any questions participants may have
- Completing required training (ex. First Aid)
- Acting as a liaison between participants and Program Leaders
- Fulfillment of 30 hours of in-office administrative work
During the trip:
- Helping to organize airport arrival and check-in
- Helping to ensure that all students make connecting flights and collect luggage
- Waking up participants on a daily basis.
- Communicating with participants and addressing issues/ concerns/ problems
- Ensuring the safety and comfort of participants in the respective destinations
- Helping organize volunteer placements
- Helping to facilitate nightly group discussions
- Promoting a spirit of solidarity, inclusiveness and unity throughout the duration of the program
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying to become a Trip Leader, please download, print and fill out this form (PDF).