This August members of the Faculty of Education will be getting ready for the upcoming academic year and taking a step into tech-enhanced teaching thanks to some Lagniappe Workshops.
What is a Lagniappe, you might ask? Lagniappe is an Acadian French term used in Louisiana that means “a little of this, a little of that” or “a small bonus.” That’s what the Lagniappe Workshopswill present – a smorgasbord of great ideas for how to enhance teaching with technology.
The Lagniappe Workshops are not your typical “learn the tool” workshop. Each workshop is designed to focus on the pedagogy of tech-enhanced teaching, providing faculty members with tech-enhanced activities that can be used immediately to power up their own teaching practice! Each workshop is short - lasting approximately 1.5 hours, and attendance is capped so learning is individualized and personal questions answered.
The Lagniappe Workshops are sponsored by the Powered-up Pedagogies for 21st Century Digital Learning Collaborative (PP21 Collaborative), an initiative between DSBN and Brock faculty of education, with additional sponsorship from the faculty’s Office of Research and the Centre for Research in Multiliteracies. The PP21 Collaborative is designed to promote a learning community around pedagogies needed for teaching in the digital context. Brock faculty coached DSBN technology experts in the design and delivery of research-based workshops that influence teaching practice. In return, these experts are coming to Brock and sharing their experienced tech-enhanced teaching that is currently being used in classrooms across DSBN.
Participants in the previousLagniappe Workshops offered high praise for the quality of the workshops and the expertise of the presenters, as well as the structure of the workshop, which allows participants to walk out the door with a tech-enhanced teaching activity for their students.
The comments from previous years share the general theme of a widely successful and engaging workshop:
- PLEASE bring this presenter back again!
- Workshop was informative, interactive, and engaging!
- I learned today!!
- Very informative, user-friendly session!
- Delightful presentation! Many classroom connections, well-paced, and presenter was responsive to questions!
- Presenter makes learning fun and provides guidance throughout the lesson – even for people who haven’t a clue!!
- Presenter very personable and knowledgeable – I used the tool the next week!
- AWESOME! I have learned so much that I will use this right now – this term!
- Lots of hands-on activities and time to practice! Loved it!
The workshops provide an opportunity to explore new teaching practices and sample models of tech-enhanced teaching being used by master teachers in DSBN classrooms. Participants are able to find at least one great idea to suit their teaching taste.