Department of Classics
Assistant Professor, Roman Art and Archaeology
BA Honors (University of California at San Diego), MPhil (Cambridge), PhD (University College London)
Department of Classics
St Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
Phone: 905 688 5550 ext 6238
Fax: 905 984 4859
- CLAS/VISA 3P22 (fall): Art and Architecture of Early Iron Age Italy and the Roman Republic
- CLAS/VISA 3P31 (fall): Art and Archaeology of Pompeii
- CLAS/VISA 3P23 (winter): Art and Architecture of the Roman Empire
- CLAS/VISA 4P31 (winter): Art and Archaeology of the Etruscans
My research focuses on cultural interaction in the central Mediterranean primarily during the Archaic and Republican Periods. In particular, I examine archaeological evidence of different types of cultural exchange linked to ritual practices in sacred and funerary contexts. My doctoral research explored the development of social hierarchy in Etruscan and early Roman society during the Orientalizing and Archaic Periods. Afterwards, I became a Research Associate on the Leverhulme Trust Greek Colonization and European Development Project at the University of Cambridge, where I investigated Greek, Punic, and Etruscan expansion in the central Mediterranean. More recently, I have been investigating the social implications of different forms of sacrificial practices in Roman society. The themes of cultural interaction and ritual practices also form the core of my fieldwork objectives. I am now the Director of the Brock Pantelleria Excavation Project in collaboration with the Soprintendenza per i Beni Culturali ed Ambientali di Trapani, Sicilia. The island of Pantelleria, situated in the Strait of Sicily, bears numerous layers of settlement and cultural interaction over millennia. Our project aims to reveal the character of the Punic to Roman Periods on the island.
Select Recent Publications:
- Forthcoming. Editor. Diversity of Sacrifice: Form and Function of Sacrificial Practices in the Ancient World and Beyond. Institute for European and Mediterranean Archaeology Series. Albany: SUNY Press.
- Forthcoming. "The Value and Power of Sacrifice" in C. Murray (ed.) Worlds of Sacrifice: Exploring the Past and Present of Gifts for the Gods. IEMA Proceedings Vol 3. Albany: SUNY Press.
- In press. "Some Considerations of Examining Cultural Interaction within Greek Colonization" in J. Lucas, C. Murray, S. Owen (eds.) Greek Colonization in Local Context, The Proceedings of the Symposium on Greek Colonization. Museum of Classical Archaeology Monograph Series. Oxford: Oxbow Books.
- 2015. (co-author with Thomas Urban, Clive Vella, and Amanda Lahikainen). "Ground-penetrating radar investigation reveals an ancient (Punic/Roman) architectural complex at Lago di Venere on the island of Pantelleria (Italy)", Journal of Applied Geophysics vol 113: 164-169.
- 2011. "Constructions of Authority through Ritual: Considering Transformations in Ritual Space as reflecting Society in Iron Age Etruria" in N. Terrenato and D. Haggis (eds.) State Formation in Italy and Greece: Questioning the neoevolutionist paradigm. Oxford: Oxbow, 199-216.
- 2010. (co-author with R. Roth) "Excavations on the Acropolis of Capena (La Civitucola (Roma))— short progress report for the 2009 season," Papers of the British School at Rome 78: 336-337.
- 2009. (co-author with R. Roth) "Excavations on the Acropolis of Capena (La Civitucola (Roma))—preliminary report for the 2008 season," Papers of the British School at Rome 77: 327-328.
- 2007. "Elite Interaction in Archaic Etruria: Exploring the exchange networks of terracotta figured frieze plaques," Journal of Mediterranean Studies 17.1: 135-160.
Select Papers and Presentations:
- 2016. (with Clive Vella), "Building Blocks of a Punic and Roman Community: Excavations at the Lago di Venere Site, Pantelleria, Italy," Archaeological Institute of America, Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- 2016. Moderator of roundtable "Volcanic Landscape Archaeology," Archaeological Institute of America, Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- 2013. "The Hidden Past of Pantelleria: Field Report of the First Season of the Pantelleria Project," Archaeological Institute of America, Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA.
- 2012. "Investigating Identity Formation through Material Culture and Social Practices at Emporion, Spain,"Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology and the Ancient World, Brown University, Providence, RI.
- 2012. "Gender and Italian Archaeology," American Institute of Archaeology, Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- 2011. Organizer and Chair, "Worlds of Sacrifice: Exploring the Past and Present of Gifts for the Gods," Institute of European and Mediterranean Archaeology, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY.
- 2010. "Artifacts versus Ecofacts: Redefining the Meaning of Material Culture," Society for American Archaeology, Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO.
- 2009. "Gifts of War and Death: The Elephants of Pyrrhus at Capena," Association of Social Anthropologists Conference, Bristol, England.
- 2008. "Questioning Colonization and Cultural Expansion at Marzabotto," AIAC (International Association of Classical Archaeology), Rome.
Membership Secretary, Niagara Peninsula Chapter of the Archaeological Institute of America
Pantelleria Excavation Project
'Like us' on Facebook: Pantelleria Excavation Project