Published on Brock University (http://brocku.ca)
How you will be judged
At every level of the competition each competitor’s presentation will be assessed according to the criteria listed below. Please note that each criterion is equally weighted.
• Did the presentation help the audience understand the research?
• Did the presenter clearly outline the nature and aims of research?
• Do you know what is significant about this research?
• Did the presentation follow a logical sequence?
• Did the oration make the audience want to know more?
• Was the presenter careful not to trivialise or ‘dumb down’ their research?
• Did the presenter convey enthusiasm for their work?
• Did the presenter capture and maintain their audience’s attention?
• Would I like to know more about the speaker’s research?
• Was the thesis topic and its significance communicated in language appropriate to a non-specialist audience?
• Did the speaker use sufficient eye contact and vocal range; maintain a steady pace, and a confident stance?
• Did the speaker avoid scientific jargon, explain terminology that needed to be used, and provide adequate background information to illustrate points?
• Did the presenter spend the right amount of time on each element of their presentation – or did they elaborate for too long or were rushed?
• Did the PowerPoint slide enhance, rather than detract from, their presentation – was it clear, legible and concise?