Gathering Place for Good Minds
The mission of Aboriginal Student Services (AbSS) is to provide academic and cultural support for Aboriginal students. With that in mind, The Gathering Place for Good Minds (GPGM) was designed and opened in 2010. GPGM consists of four rooms: the Community Meeting Place (DeCew R208), the office (DeCew R212), the Student Resource Centre (DeCew R213), and the Gathering Place Lounge (MackenzieChown B).
1. Desktop computers are available for student use between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm. (DeCew R213)
a. While use is not limited to academic purposes, students with academic needs will be given priority.
b. Only covered beverages are permitted in the computer area.
c. No food is permitted in the computer area.
2. Laptops are available and can be signed out but must be returned on the same day by 4:30pm. (DeCew R213)
a. Overnight laptop loans can be arranged if necessary. (For more information contact Sandra Wong.)
b. Extended laptop loans are granted for some Aboriginal programming. (For more information contact Sandra Wong.)
3. An Aboriginal media library consisting of books, DVDs and journals is available to the entire Brock community. (DeCew R213) This is considered a special collection of the James A. Gibson library, and as such, borrowers are subject to library policy regarding the borrowing period for the items and the late fees.
4. Print and fax services for academic work are available to Aboriginal students at no cost. (DeCew R213)
5. A phone with reasonable long distance use is available for Aboriginal students who need to contact members of their home community for support. (DeCew R212)
6. Daily use lockers are available to Aboriginal students but must be emptied at the end of each day. (DeCew R213)
7. Community Meeting Place (DeCew R208) use is limited to specific partners.
8. Photographs of the GPGM spaces are permitted providing:
b. Photography release forms are signed by all parties who appear in the photographs and the forms are submitted to AbSS office. (Download form
c. Arrangements are made to have the photo shoot overseen by an AbSS designate.
d. A copy of each photo is provided to AbSS for promotional use.
e. Photos are published (print or electronic) with the following caption: “Photo op provided by Aboriginal Student Services, Student Development Centre, Brock University.”*
* To maintain and preserve the integrity, identity, and original purpose of the room, when photos are used by other divisions or groups.
Self-identification (coming soon)
Ceremonies (coming soon)