Transfer credit –who qualifies for it?
Timeline for receiving a transfer credit assessment
Understanding your transfer credit assessment
- Applicants eligible for transfer credit include those who have:
- completed a minimum of one semester of university study;
- graduated from a two-year diploma program or who have completed a minimum of two years of a three-year diploma program;
- completed a minimum of one semester of an applied college degree program;
- graduated from a two-year CEGEP diploma program or who have completed a minimum of two years of a three-year CEGEP diploma program.
- completed the International Baccalaureate diploma (departmentally approved HL courses with a minimum grade of 5)
- completed Advanced Placement courses (departmentally approved courses with an examination grade of 4)
- completed GCE/A-level courses (departmentally approved courses with a minimum grade of C or higher) or similar curriculum in other countries
- A Statement of Standing outlining any assigned transfer credit is normally included with the offer of admission. It is granted only for those courses that show as complete on the transcript.
- Applicants currently completing degree studies will be assessed for additional transfer credit once a final transcript is submitted to Admissions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit a final transcript.
Depending on previously completed course work, transfer credit may be awarded as one of the following:
- an exact equivalent (e.g. HIST 1F95)
- an unspecified departmental credit (e.g. 1.0 Year 2 HIST unspecified)
- an unspecified elective credit (e.g. 1.0 Year 1 elective)
Honours and with major degrees offered by Brock University are 20.0 credits; pass (3 Year) degrees are 15 credits. A normal course load is 5.0 credits = one full-time year of study.
The awarding of transfer credit is based primarily upon:
- level of similarity between the college program and Brock degree;
- course content;
- grades achieved in courses.
Transfer students are strongly encouraged to see an academic advisor once admitted to understand how transfer credits awarded will fit into their program of study. In some cases not all awarded transfer credit will fit within a degree or program of study.
Click here to go back to previous page