On this page:
- Administration Process
- Clarity and Accountability
- Institutional best practices
- Uses of Evaluation of Teaching Forms
- Contact the CPI for...
- Online Resources
- Evaluation of Teaching Workshop
While the specific processes used may vary somewhat from one academic unit to the next, best practice suggests the following general processes be used:
- Course evaluations should be administered for all courses as per the Collective Agreement (1 July 2011 to 30 June 2014), Article 12.04 (v).
- A third party (another faculty member, instructor, administrative assistant or graduate student within the department) who has no contact with the course being evaluated should distribute and collect the evaluation forms.
- Where appropriate, i.e. in courses with substantial online content, evaluation forms should be available for submission online.
- Purpose and process of course evaluation should be clearly articulated especially to students at the time of administration.
- An unbiased third party should summarize reports before they are given to a faculty member. This obviously has resource implications for the department.
- Faculty members are informed of who has access to evaluation data and for what purpose.
- Any individual who has access to evaluation data formally acknowledges that ownership belongs to the faculty member and an agreement of confidentiality is established.
- All course evaluation data are returned to the faculty member as one form of documentation of teaching.
- Academic departments should examine the process and content of course evaluation forms on a regular basis.
- Academic departments should make use of the resources available from the CPI regarding formative and summative evaluation of teaching and courses.
Clarity and Accountability
This process and a copy of the departmental form should be posted on the departmental website.
Institutional best practices
The examination of the evaluation of teaching at Brock University should remain on the agenda for Teaching and Learning Committee of Senate on an ongoing or regular basis.
Uses of Evaluation of Teaching Forms
Almost 60% of faculty reported they use the evaluation of teaching forms to improve their course and teaching. In order for feedback on teaching to be effective for those students providing feedback, it should be provided while the instructor is still able to modify teaching, i.e. mid-way through course.
Approximately 50% of faculty reported that evaluation of teaching forms are used at the departmental level for the purpose of promotion and tenure. Any robust analysis of a complex topic like teaching university courses should include a multi-dimensional approach. It is recommended that faculty supplement their documentation of teaching with additional forms of summative evaluation of teaching for P&T. For example, student focus groups or peer evaluation.
- Contact the CPI for:
- Formative feedback instruments, e.g. Teacher Behaviours Inventory (Murray, 1983)
- Evaluation of course and teaching question bank
- The CPI will administer online course evaluations on a cost-recovery basis: 1 hours work to convert/author the online version of the evaluation, 1 hours work to administer the evaluation and return it to the department chair.
- Departmental course evaluation examples (contact CPI )
- Documentation on additional research on course evaluations (contact CPI )
- Reports regarding course evaluation data (contact CPI )
- Contact Information Technology Services for:
- Online Resources:
- Gravestock, P. & Gregor-Greenleaf, E. (2008) Student Course Evaluations: Research, Models and Trends. [Summary PDF ], [Complete PDF ] Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario .
- Sample course evaluation questions: kumu.brocku.ca/eval/SAMPLE
Please note: this course evaluation form is only a sample but active. The CPI also administers evaluations as a trusted third-party for a fee through a separate web site, or through Isaak/Sakai . If you are a faculty member and would like to use this form for your online course evaluation, please contact your department chair and the CPI . Anyone is welcome to copy these questions or download the versions for Sakai and other tools.
- Scantron RPT converter for use in Excel or SPSS - https://ctlet.brocku.ca/sanetron/
- Evaluation of Teaching Workshop
Center for Pedagogical Innovation