Graduate Program Director, Associate Professor (B.A. McMaster, B.A. Brock, M.A. Brock, Ph.D. Dominican University College, Ottawa)
Department of Philosophy
St. Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
Office: Room 268 at 573 Glenridge Ave.
Winter Term Office Hours: Monday: 12 - 1 pm or by appointment
Telephone: (905) 688-5550 ext. 5313/3315
Areas of Specialization: Action Theory, 19-20th century Continental Philosophy, Philosophical Genealogy, Nietzsche, Foucault and Epistemology
Areas of Competence: Bioethics, Logic, Philosophy of History, Ethics
- Lightbody, Brian. Dispersing the Clouds of Temptation. Turning Away From Weakness of Will and Turning Towards the Sun. (Eugene, Oregon: Pickwick Press, A Division of Wipf and Stock Publishers), 2015. 142 P.
- Lightbody, Brian. The Problem of Naturalism: Analytic Perspectives, Continental Virtues. (Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books, a division of Rowman and Littlefield), 2013. 146p.
- Lightbody, Brian. Philosophical Genealogy: An Epistemological Reconstruction of Nietzsche and Foucault's Philosophical Genealogy (New York: American University Studies Series V. Vol. 9, Peter Lang USA, Publishers Inc) Vol. 2, 2011. 176p.
- Lightbody, Brian. Philosophical Genealogy: An Epistemological Reconstruction of Nietzsche and Foucault’s Genealogical Method (New York: American University Studies V. Vol. 8, New York: Peter Lang Press, USA, Publishers Inc.), Vol. 1, 2010. 203p.
Books: Co-edited Volumes:
- DeRoo, Neal and Lightbody, Brian. Editors. The Logic of Incarnation. James K. A. Smith's Critique of Postmodern Religion.(Eugene: Oregon, Pickwick Publications (a division of Wipf and Stock Publishers), 2008, 232p.
- Lightbody, Brian. "Indecidability and 'Undecidability': Does Derrida's Ethics Depend on Levinas' Notion of the Third?" (Chapter Four of The Logic of Incarnation. James K.A. Smith's Critique of Postmodern Religion) pp. 71-84.
- Lightbody, Brian and Berman, Michael. "The Metaphoric Fallacy to a Deductive Inference". Informal Logic: Reasoning and Argumentation in Theory and Practice, Vol. 30, No. 2, 2010, pp. 185-193.
- Lightbody, Brian. "Can We Truly Love That Which is Fleeting? The Problem of Time in Marcuse's Eros and Civilization." The Florida Philosophical Review, Volume X Number 1 Summer 2010, pp. 25-42.
- Lightbody, Brian. “Nietzsche, Perspectivism, Anti-Realism: An Inconsistent Triad”, The European Legacy: Towards New Paradigms, Vol. 15 issue 4, 2010, pp. 425-438.
- Lightbody, Brian. “Responding to the Call: Philosophy as Human Wonderment,” Essays in the Philosophy of Humanism (A Journal of the American Humanist Association), 16(1), Spring-Summer 2008, pp. 27-37.
- Lightbody, Brian. “Theseus vs. The Minotaur: Finding the Common Thread in the Foucault Chomsky-Debate” Studies in Social and Political Thought, Issue 8, Spring 2003, 67-83.
Current Research activities:
- Nietzsche and Naturalism, Metaphors and Fallacies, the Philosophy of Emotions. Recent Teaching Activities: Foucault, Introduction to Philosophy, Bioethics, Logic.