Teaching Assistant Awards
The Centre for Pedagogical Innovation (CPI) Teaching Assistant Award was established in 1998 to recognize the important contributions to the university by teaching assistants, seminar leaders and lab demonstrators. Three TA awards are available.
1. NOVICE TA AWARD (sponsored by the CPI).
Presented to an individual TA who shows promise in the field of teaching.
Award Amount: $300.00
Eligibility: Individuals eligible to receive the award are novice teaching assistants (seminar leaders and lab demonstrators) who have less than one year of experience as a TA but who have demonstrated a commitment to assisting others in reaching their educational goals.
2. TA AWARD (sponsored by the CPI).
Presented to an individual TA in recognition of an outstanding contribution to teaching and learning at Brock.
Award Amount: $500.00
Eligibility: Individuals eligible to receive the award are teaching assistants (seminar leaders and lab demonstrators) who have demonstrated a commitment to assisting others in reaching their educational goals. Eligible teaching assistants must have one or more years of teaching experience.
3. GRADUATE TA AWARD (sponsored by the Faculty of Graduate Studies).
Presented to a graduate student TA (with one or more years of teaching experience) who shows promise in the field of teaching.
Award Amount: $400.00
Eligibility: Individuals eligible to receive the award are teaching assistants (seminar leaders and lab demonstrators) who have demonstrated a commitment to assisting others in reaching their educational goals. Eligible candidates must be graduate students with more than one year of teaching experience.
TAs are only eligible to receive one award within a five year period.
1. The nomination form (download, print, & complete) must be signed by two nominators. One nominator must be a faculty member. The second nominator may be a student or a peer.
2. The individual nominated must sign the nomination form to indicate his/her willingness to be considered for the award.
3. Each nominator must submit a letter outlining:
a. his/her relationship to the individual
b. why he/she has nominated this person
4. One of the two nominators much provide a summary of the support documentation (i.e., a summary of the testimonial letters, teaching evaluation date, etc.)
5. Supporting documentation is essential. This should include:
a. a statement of teaching philosophy
b. evidence of professional development in teaching
(i.e., attendance at the Workshop Series offered by the CPI;
the Theory & Practice of University Teaching graduate
course, or the Instructional Skills Workshop)
c. faculty evaluation of TA performance (if available)
d. a summary of teaching evaluations (if available)
e. testimonial letters (from sources other than the nominators
- maximum of 6)
f. a brief Curriculum Vitae (CV)
For the purposes of this award, the following may be considered; for example, classroom instruction, lecturing, seminars, tutorials, online facilitation, and lab demonstration. Letters and supporting documents should address how the person has made a contribution to teaching rather than how great a person he/she is. For the purposes of this award, the following may be considered:
◦ Availability to students
◦ Student mentoring
◦ Marking and evaluation
◦ Ability to respond to student needs
◦ Methods of delivering instructional material
◦ Contributions to course development and modification
◦ Developing an effective and positive learning climate
2. Supporting documentation from a variety of sources is preferred (students, faculty, peers, administrators).
The nomination package (in hard copy) must be received at the Centre for Pedagogical Innovation (TH253B) by the first Friday in March. The successful candidates will receive the Awards at the TA Reception sponsored by the CPI and the VP Academic in April.
The package must include:
• A nomination form signed by the two nominators and the candidate (also available from CPI in TH253B).
• Complete documentation as outlined in #3, #4 and #5 above. All documentation is subject to verification by the selection committee.
Please note that the selection committee reserves the right not to select an award winner in any given year.
Past Teaching Assistant Awards & Recipients