March Madness Basketball Tournament
March Madness Mens/Womens/ Co-ed 3-on-3 Basketball
All National Federation Basketball rules apply, with the following amendments and/or additions:
1. Each team must field 3 players in order to compete; there is no limit to the number of bench players or substitutions. For co-ed you must have at least one player of each gender on the court.
B) GAME SETUP:
1. Playing Area: Half-court of a regulation basketball court.
2. Game Length:
- There will be 30- 45-minute time slot for each match.
- Each team will play 2 games to 11 points versus their opponent. (If teams split wins, a 3rd game will be played to 7 points)
3. Possession at start of game will be decided by shooting for first ball (a player from one will shoot from the 3-point line prior the start of the first game – if made basket it is their ball to start, missed = other team’s ball).
- For the 2nd and 3rd game, the team which lost the previous game will begin will the ball.
2 points for any made basket beyond the 3-point line.
1 point for any made basket within the 3-point line.
C) GAME PLAY:
1. Stoppage of Play:
a) “Losers' Outs” will be played: Following each basket, the ball will be checked at the top of the 3-point line with possession going to the team who was just scored on.
b) The ball must also be checked following out of bounds violations, fouls, etc.
- There is no over-and-back rule, or out of bounds regarding the half court line.
c) One-Pass Rule: The offense must make at least one pass after a ball is checked before attempting to score; if a team violates this rule and scores, the basket will not count, and the defensive team will be awarded possession.
- The ‘one-pass’ rule will not apply following a defensive rebound off of a missed shot, but the ball must still be cleared beyond the 3-point line.
2. Clearing the Ball: All balls, regardless of whether they hit the rim or not, must be cleared before offensive-defensive roles switch; clearance constitutes taking the ball beyond the 3-point line.
3. No 'Jump Balls' - defense is awarded possession.
4. Substitutions: Subs may enter at any stoppage of play before the ball is checked.
a) Participants will call their own fouls with the offense's opinion taking precedence (offense calls fouls).
6. Scorekeepers will act as impartial observers to the nature of the activity and will convey information to the convenor if there are any questionable sportsmanship actions.
- Spirit of Competition (SOC) will be tracked at the end of every game.
7. Both captains must confirm scores and sign the game sheet following each game!
8. Games will be played throughout March.