Welcome to the Fall Term! Here is what's new from the Library.
Published on August 30 2013
• We have acquired 25 new and faster laptops (with a webcam feature) for 4-hour loan by students, as well as 40 new and faster Dell all-in-one desktop PCs. All run on Windows 7 and have Microsoft Office 2013 installed. Accessibility software (ZoomText, Jaws, and Kurzweil) will be available on all library computers shortly. Also, an additional video camera kit is now available for checkout, along with a variety of charging and video cables.
The next time you place a request in RACER for an article or chapter of a book that the Library doesn't have, we will send you an email with a link to download the item in .pdf format.
• Brock’s collection of e-books continues to grow. In the past year we have added collections from Harvard University Press, Springer and a collection of Nursing books from Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Starting in September we will be offering access to a large pool of titles distributed on the innovative EBook Library (EBL) platform. These will be fully downloadable to any device that is compliant with Adobe Digital Editions. The downloaded files remain active for up to 7 days. Springer is also now allowing full book downloads. Unlike EBL, Springer downloads will be PDF files that can be used on any device without restriction.
• If you need anything, just Ask Us! We have improved our online question service. From your computer or cell phone, you can chat with or now text Library Help Desk staff. This service is available all hours that the Help Desk is open - over 60 hours a week during the Fall and Winter terms. Messages sent during hours when the Help Desk is staffed will be answered quickly; other messages will be answered when we reopen. For more information on this service including how to locate sources for your research, get help with search strategies, or just ask about our hours, see: http://faq.library.brocku.ca/.
• Scanning to a USB is now available on the photocopy machines located on the main floor of the Library. This feature is free of charge.
• Free of charge scanning to a BROCK email is also available on all photocopiers located throughout the Library.
• Pre-loaded, $5.00 copy/print cards may be purchased from Circulation Services. Payment can be made by cash, debit, or credit.
Best wishes for a great year ahead.