Brock recognizes best of the class of 2010 at Convocation
Published on June 08 2010
Brock University will recognize the best of the class of 2010 at Spring Convocation, taking place Wednesday, June 9, to Saturday, June 12.
Governor-General’s Gold Medal
At the Friday, June 11, 10 a.m. Convocation ceremony, Patrick Callaghan Boyle of St. Catharines, Ont., a PhD student in Biotechnology, will be presented with the Governor General’s Gold Medal, awarded to the student who achieves the highest academic standing at the graduate level.
Board of Trustees Spirit of Brock Medals
The qualities that best embody the spirit of Sir Isaac Brock — leadership, courage, innovation, inspiration and community involvement — also represent the ideals that characterize this year’s recipients of the Board of Trustees Spirit of Brock Medal, which will be handed out at Spring Convocation.
The medals will be presented to one undergraduate student from each Faculty based on the recommendation of the Deans, and one graduate-level student (master’s and PhD) from each Faculty on the recommendation of the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies in consultation with the other Deans. The Chair of the Board of Trustees, or designate, will present the medals during Convocation.
The recipients of the 2010 Board of Trustees Spirit of Brock Medals are:
- Jason Dunphy of Hamilton, Ont., Faculty of Education
- Jessica Horne of Grimsby, Ont., Faculty of Social Sciences
- Katherine Gottli of St. Catharines, Ont., Faculty of Humanities
- Jordan MacNeil of St. Catharines, Ont., Faculty of Mathematics and Science
- Julie Serroul of St. Catharines, Ont., Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
- Vanessa Julie Ralph of Scarborough, Ont., Faculty of Business
- Emily Hastings-Speck of Mississauga, Ont., Faculty of Education
- Renee Louise McKinley of Binbrook, Ont., Faculty of Social Sciences
- Katherine Schleifer of Oakville, Ont., Faculty of Humanities
- Lisa Neville of Trenton, Ont., Faculty of Mathematics and Science
- Jennifer Ptasinski of Grimsby, Ont., Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
- Theodor Soepboer of Camlachie, Ont., Faculty of Business
Students with the highest standing in either a first Honours (four-year) or pass (three-year) degree in each Faculty will receive a Dean's Medal for academic excellence at Spring Convocation. In the Faculty of Business, only one medal is awarded for the Honour's degree as all programs are a minimum of four years.
Students receiving Dean's Medals are:
Faculty of Education
- Honours Degree: Christina Le Rose of Niagara Falls, Ont.
- Pass Degree: Jennifer Rose Detina of Stoney Creek, Ont.
Faculty of Social Sciences
- Jennifer Moule of Hamilton, Ont.
Faculty of Humanities
- Honours Degree: Kathleen Elizabeth Buchan
- Pass Degree: Caroline Elise Bourque of St. Catharines Ont.
Faculty of Mathematics and Science
- Honours Degree: Jonathan Ross of Niagara Falls, Ont.
- Pass Degree: Ann Dion
Faculty of Applied Health Sciences:
- Honours Degree: Bailey Gresham of Arnprior, Ont.
- Pass Degree: Matthew Gary Gordon of St. Catharines, Ont.
Faculty of Business
- Honours Degree: Norman Johnston of St. Catharines, Ont.
Distinguished Graduating Student Awards (undergraduate)
Fifty-four undergraduate students will receive Distinguished Graduating Student Awards for obtaining the highest average in their major.
Distinguished Graduate Student Awards (graduate)
Twenty-five graduate students will receive Distinguished Graduate Student Awards for obtaining the highest overall average in their program.