- About Us
- Strategic Plan (PDF)
- Borrowing Policies
- Code of Conduct
- Collection Development Policy
- Computer Laptop Lending Policy
- Computer Access Policy
- Correspondence Policy
- Food and Drink Policy
- Guidelines for the Appropriate Use of Library Workstations
- Inclement Weather Policy
- Information Literacy/Library Research Skills Policy
- Photography & Filming Policy
- Privacy and Protection of Information
- Reserve Collection Policy
- Study and Work Space
- Equipment for Loan
- Interlibrary Loan Policies
- Library Access for the Local Community
- Library Donation Policy
- Personal Belongings Guidelines
- Matheson Learning Commons
- Support the Library
- Open Access
- Digital Repository
- Maps, Data & GIS
- Maps, Geodata & GIS Collections
- Contact Us
- Services & Hours
- Geospatial Data Services
- Guides & How to...
- Historical Map Prints for Sale!
- ArcGIS at Brock
- Special Collections and Archives
- Instructional Resource Centre
- Government and Legal Information
- Finding Books & Articles
- Borrowing from the Library
- Advanced Research
- Suggestion Box Responses
- Writing & Citing
- Tech Help
Welland Canals Exhibit
James A. Gibson Library
Welland Canals Exhibit
The Historic Welland Canals: A Virtual Tour
Tutorial for using the Welland Canals Project
Welland Canals Project Poster
This project was created to provide an interactive visualization tool that documents the historic 1st, 2nd and 3rd Welland Canals.
Utilizing the free Google Earth software, locations of historic canal features are identified and enhanced with over 100 photographs, air photos, maps and narration that allows one to re-discover the historic Welland Canals corridor.
To view the Welland Canals virtual tour project, download the Google Earth KMZ file. Open the file in Google Earth and select layers to view. Click on a placemark and enjoy the scenes and images.
Statement of use:
The Historic Welland Canals: a Virtual Tour was created for research, private study, criticism and review purposes. In accessing it, you agree to use it only for these purposes and not for any other purpose. If you have any questions about this, please contact Colleen Beard firstname.lastname@example.org.
Acknowledgment: The Welland Canals project is a collaboration of several who have assisted over the last few years, Sharon Janzen for the technical expertise with Google Earth Pro; Brock University Geography internship students and Map Library staff who assisted with digitizing collections, designing placemarks, creating super overlays, and editing; as well as staff in the Brock University Comminications Deptartment who assisted with editing audio recordings; and the photo contributions from several local collections.