- Departments & Centres
- Applied Linguistics
- Dramatic Arts
- English Language and Literature
- Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures
- Visual Arts
- Centre for Canadian Studies
- Centre for Digital Humanities
- Centre for Intercultural Studies
- Centre for Liberal Arts
- Centre for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Centre for Studies in Arts and Culture
- Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts
- ART CENTRE
- Rodman Hall Art Centre
- Degree Programs
- Students in the Humanities
- Centre for Digital Humanities
- Dean's Conference Travel Grant
- Fulbright Visiting Research Chair
- Humanities Research Institute
- HRI Mandate and Structure
- HRI Membership
- HRI Funding
- HRI Conferences and Symposia
- Conferences and Symposia 2000 - 2001
- Conferences and Symposia 2002 - 2003
- Conferences and Symposia 2004 - 2005
- Conferences and Symposia 2005 - 2006
- Conferences and Symposia 2006 - 2007
- Conferences and Symposia 2007 - 2008
- Conferences and Symposia 2008 - 2009
- Conferences and Symposia 2009 - 2010
- Conferences and Symposia 2010 - 2011
- Conferences and Symposia 2011 - 2012
- Conferences and Symposia 2012 - 2013
- Conferences and Symposia 2013-2014
- HRI Associates
- HRI Graduate Student Associates
- HRI Annual Report 2013-14
- HRI Awards
- HRI Forms and Deadlines
- The Brock Review
- Contact Us
Faculty of Humanities
If you are applying to the Visual Arts Program, you will be accepted based on your marks. A digital portfolio assessment is required and you can download the submission requirements HERE.
Portfolios are a required part of the admissions program for students applying to the following programs:
-Studio Art (3 Year Pass Degree)
-Studio Art (4 Year Honours Degree)
-Concurrent Education Honours Arts/ Intermediate/Senior (Visual Arts-Studio Art major)
Students applying to the History of Art & Visual Culture program are not required to submit a portfolio.
Your portfolio submission must contain two elements:
1) a letter of intent
2) a digital portfolio of 15-20 of your artworks
We must receive your complete submission by Friday, February 7th, 2014 in order to consider your application for studies beginning September 2014. All portfolio submissions must be digital. Please DO NOT send original artworks to us.
Letter of Intent
We would like to find out more about you, what motivates, challenges and inspires you in your creative process. Your letter of intent should describe your reasons for wanting to study visual arts. Please consider how your answers may enhance or contribute to our understanding of your portfolio work as we view it. Your letter of intent should not exceed 300 words. Artist statements are also welcome but not mandatory. Please submit your letter of intent as a Word document (.doc) and include it on a CD-R/DVD-R. You may include this letter on the same CD-R/DVD-R as your digital portfolio. Please be sure to clearly label it as your letter of intent.
Work submitted may demonstrate a range of media explored. The portfolio should be 15-20 works (do not submit more than 20 pieces).
Digital files accepted: jpg, psd, tif, video (mov, wmv, flv, mp4), music (mp3) and PDF documents. For good image quality and fast upload, your image files should be sized around 1024 x 768px @72 dpi, 2MB or less. Please keep video files under 120MB each and 2-3 minute clips.
Name each file as follows:
01 LastName, Title, Year
02 LastName, Title, Year
Please include an image list that corresponds with the digital portfolio as a Word document (.doc). The image list should include:
01 LastFirstName, Title, Media, Dimensions, Date Completed
Your portfolio must be submitted on a CD-R or DVD-R. Please DO NOT send original artworks to us. Please title your CD-R/DVD-R and provide a labeled case with your full name (as submitted on your application) OUAC reference number (if applicable), and date of birth.
The deadline for submitting your letter of intent and digital portfolio is February 7, 2014 for admission the following September. The portfolio and letter of intent must be sent together in a strong, reusable package and must be accompanied by sufficient return postage. Portfolios sent without sufficient return postage will not be returned to the applicant.
Please send the portfolio and letter of intent to:
Portfolio Review Committee Department of Visual Arts Brock University
500 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2S 3A1
Please do not hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions about the portfolio process. Questions should be directed to the Chair of Visual Arts, Dr. Keri Cronin
Admissions related questions should be directed to Michelle Lea, Admissions Director, at email@example.com.