Faculty of Education
The Consecutive Teacher Education Programs
Brock offers primary/junior, junior/intermediate and intermediate/senior programs of study leading to a BEd degree and an Ontario Certificate of Qualification and Registration (CQR) at two campuses – St. Catharines and Hamilton. Our programs are respected for their field orientations and organizational structure. Instruction in professional practice takes place under the supervision of Faculty Advisors and Associate Teachers working with teacher candidates in schools throughout the Niagara and Hamilton regions and beyond.
- See Why Brock (below) to get an overview of our program.
- Link here for overview of the courses for each program.
Students in the primary/primary junior program do not need a teachable subject. But all other programs do.
The Junior/Intermediate teachable subjects include: Dramatic Arts, English, French, Geography, Health and Physical Education, History, Mathematics, Music – Vocal, Science – General, and Visual Arts.
Intermediate/Senior teachable subjects include: Business Studies – Accounting, Business Studies – General, Business Studies – Information and Communication Technology, Dramatic Arts, English – First Language, French as a Second Language, Geography, History, Mathematics, Health and Physical Education, Science – Biology, Science –Chemistry, Science – General, Science – Physics and Visual Arts.
- Brock University’s programs have you where you want to be:in a school beginning as early as the September of your first term.
- You will participate in professional development activities and specially planned conferences to personalize your learning and develop a unique experience portfolio.
- Support is provided in developing job search, resume, and interview skills.
- Brock’s programs exceed the provincially regulated minimum in-school practicum days to further enhance your skills.
- All teacher candidates receive specialized courses in inclusive education, teacher as researcher, teaching with technology, special education.
- Primary/junior and junior/intermediate programs also receive instruction in all four arts disciplines.
- A range of practice teaching options are available to qualifying students, including:
- International placements
- Alternative instructional placements such as museums
- Experience in a diverse range of school settings
- Brock University gives you a mid-program break (roughly May- August) to enroll in optional courses, pursue extra teaching experiences or summer employment.
- Brock University has two campuses offering Teacher Education programming: St. Catharines and Hamilton, with placements in Niagara, Hamilton-Wentworth, Halton, Peel, and Brant Haldimand Norfolk and in both Catholic and public school boards.
Please contact the Registrar's Office for more information about applying to the above programs.