Dr. Donald A. Cyr
Associate Professor of Finance
Goodman School of Business, Brock University, St. Catharines, Ont.
Phone: 905-688-5550 x3136
Office: TA 315
BSc, Geology, Concordia University, Montreal, PQ
MBA, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK
MA, Economics, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
PhD, Finance, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
Economic and financial aspects of the grape and wine industry; financial derivatives to hedge the risk of adverse weather conditions.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Cyr, D., and T. Shaw. "The impact of global warming on Ontario's Icewine industry". VIII International Terroir Conference 2010, Soave, Italy.
- Cyr, D., J. Kushner, and T. Ogwang. "A survivor analysis of the Canadian wine industry: 1984 to 2009". American Association of Wine Economics 2010 Annual Conference, Davis, CA.
- Cyr, D., M. Kusy, and T. Shaw. "Explorations in the design of an optimal weather hedging contract for viticulture". American Association of Wine Economics 2010 Annual Conference, Davis, CA.
- Cyr, D., and J. Kushner. "Optimal size in the Californian wine industry: A survivor technique analysis of 1984 to 2009" at The World's Wine Markets by 2030: Terroir, Climate Change, R&D and Globalization in Adelaide, Australia, Feb. 2010.
- Cyr, D., Kusy, M. and Shaw, A.B. "Weather contracts for hedging risk in the viticulture industry", Ontario Fruit and Vegetable Conference 2010, St. Catharines, Ontario, February, 2010.
- Cyr, D. Kusy, M. and Shaw A.B. "Hedging the risks of vineyard winter injury employing and OTC collar contract", 3rd Annual Conference of the American Association of Wine Economists, June 2009, Reims, France.
- Cyr, D., Kwong, L., Malone, I. and Wendel, A. "Economic hysteresis in the Californian vineyard industry: a real options analysis of entry and exit", 3rd Annual Conference of the American Association of Wine Economists, June 2009, Reims, France.
- Cyr, D., Hanagriff, R., “What is making the Texas vineyard industry tick? A real options analysis of entry and exit,” Bacchus Goes Green, 4th Interdisciplinary and International Wine Conference, July 2009, Dijon, France.
- Cyr, D., Kusy, M. and Shaw, A.B.. The Potential Use of Weather Derivatives in the Viticulture Industry, Economia & Diritto Agroalimentare. Volume 13, Number 3, 2008.
- Cyr, D. and Kusy, M.. Canadian Ice Wine Production: A Case for the Use of Weather Derivatives. Journal of Wine Economics. Volume 2, Number 2, Fall, 2007.