Growing Niagara's bioscience cluster
The Niagara region has a number of competitive advantages that are contributing to the growth of a strong bioscience cluster, including:
- an efficient transportation system that allows easy access to North American and global markets
- abundant supplies of water, energy and biomass
- bioprocessing and manufacturing base
- institutional bioscience research
- industry expertise from leading-edge companies
BioLinc will work closely with new and expanding businesses in surrounding communities to ensure they leverage these advantages and contribute to the further development and growth of this important industry cluster.
Studies completed in 2008 and 2010, entitled, “Bioeconomy Industry Development Opportunities for Niagara,” and “Niagara’s Bioeconomy” respectively found that while the extensive bioresearch and development that is currently taking place within the region has the potential to translate into a successful biocluster, collaboration is very limited. BioLinc will provide a central location that will drive industry collaboration and unite the region’s stakeholders, propelling Niagara’s bioscience industry forward.